Anyone doing keto?

Options
2»

Replies

• sarahbethgilmore
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    hunters90 wrote: »
    I just started two and a half weeks ago. I eat anything with high protein and high fats. 0-45 carbs a day. It's been working and after the first 3-4 days I've felt pretty good.

I don't do keto, but I could've sworn I read somewhere that doing keto requires also low amount of protein and by having it high, it is not exactly keto any longer, I could be wrong.

Most recommend "moderate" protein, not necessarily "low".
    Protein can be converted to glucose in the liver via gluconeogenesis, so high protein can result in getting out of ketosis.

Everyone is different though and it also depends on your insulin tolerance/resistance.

It's always good to start slow and phase into it if you can as it is a pretty drastic change from a standard American diet.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    filbo132 wrote: »
    hunters90 wrote: »
    I just started two and a half weeks ago. I eat anything with high protein and high fats. 0-45 carbs a day. It's been working and after the first 3-4 days I've felt pretty good.

I don't do keto, but I could've sworn I read somewhere that doing keto requires also low amount of protein and by having it high, it is not exactly keto any longer, I could be wrong.

Most recommend "moderate" protein, not necessarily "low".
    Protein can be converted to glucose in the liver via gluconeogenesis, so high protein can result in getting out of ketosis.

Everyone is different though and it also depends on your insulin tolerance/resistance.

It's always good to start slow and phase into it if you can as it is a pretty drastic change from a standard American diet.

Fat also converts to glucose through the same process. Either way, if that is the justification to have lower protein, its a poor decision (in the general sense). Protein is literally the most important nutrient during weight loss as it supports metabolism and muscle retention.

Heck, all the science to support low carb or keto being muscle sparring is driven by the automatic increase in protein.
  • newyorkgirlygirl
    newyorkgirlygirl Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The formula for keto is high fat, low carb, moderate protein.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    The formula for keto is high fat, low carb, moderate protein.

Technically, there are a variety of keto style diets. Any macro that gets you in ketosis would be considered ketogenic. There are protein style keto diets, cycled keto diets, timed keto diet etc... it really is a lot less narrow as you would suggest.
  • AshlieA96
    AshlieA96 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    So I just started keto a couple days ago I'm having trouble figuring out a good ratio as well.. I'm just trying to figure out what's working for others. Trying to stay on track with carbs is hard for me, when I haven't actually eaten any "carbs". Haha if this makes sense. I do need my coffee every morning. I am having leg cramps though:(
  • psuLemon
    Options
    AshlieA96 wrote: »
    So I just started keto a couple days ago I'm having trouble figuring out a good ratio as well.. I'm just trying to figure out what's working for others. Trying to stay on track with carbs is hard for me, when I haven't actually eaten any "carbs". Haha if this makes sense. I do need my coffee every morning. I am having leg cramps though:(

Legs cramps are driven by inadequate electrolytes usually. You can try to increase sodium, magnesium and potassium. You can also look up keto-aid as a short term fix.

For macros, carbs are the bigger concerns. So getting sub 50g is a bit more key. So meats, full fat dairy/hard cheeses, fatty fish, avocados, dark leafy greens, creams, etc..
  • JagaSrik
    JagaSrik Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Anyone doing Keto? If so how long and what do you eat?

Hi i dont want to sound demotivate you, but make sure first your gallbladder is working well before you start if you have even little pain in stomach or problems with digestion then i suggest you eat lot of veggies and forget about keto and intermittent fasting, if you are really fit then consult doctor before you start, avoid looking youtube from advice of self claimed doctors, somethings doest work for everyone and having one body is so precious dont experiment with it.

I did Intermittent fasting and around a week on keto, i have encountered problem related to gallbladder so please be cautious on this please take doctor assistance. Have a great Day.

Regards
  • tlwithoelder
    tlwithoelder Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please check out the side bar on r/keto. Everything you need is there. It's also a great subreddit with lots of supportive people who are there to help!

Been on keto for 7 months, down 50lbs. Keep it up!
  • Mehuman2
    Mehuman2 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am doing Keto. Am about 5 days in but am having hard time keeping the calories down. I am real close to my percentages though. Some days I am Hungry and others not so much. I am down 2 pounds but I was also going toward keto for a while now. When I watch my carbs then pounds come off. Even when I am over my calories by almost a thousand. Yep I still log those 2k calorie days. 1 more pound and I will be down 30. Lost more these last 2 months than I have in 5 years since gaining it all. 35 to go.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I've been following a Keto WOE now for 4 years. My macros are: 10% carbs (~40g/day), 25% protein (between 100-110g/day), 65% fat (between 105-120g/day). For more specific details re what I eat, my diary is open.
  • danficek
    danficek Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been doing Keto (Low Carb, High Fat, Moderate Protein) since June 29th. As of this morning, I'm down 28 lbs, have way more energy than ever before and have completely lost all cravings for sweets, breads, pastas, etc. I do Bulletproof Coffee every morning with two tablespoons of butter and two tablespoons of coconut oil. I'm rarely hungry through the day. On average, I drink 64-128 ounces of water per day. My macros typically sit at 75-80% fat, 15-20% protein and 0-5% carbohydrates. This is a style of eating that for the first time in my life, I feel like is sustainable. I did my first 5 mile hike with 1300 increase in elevation in years and before the hike, only had my bulletproof coffee and three ounces of blue cheese. We ate lunch afterwards but I wasn't really hungry :smiley: