INSANE calorie count at AMC dine in! What to do?

Options
So husband and I are going on a movie date today and I like to plan ahead calorie wise. It's a dine-in theater where they serve food along with cocktails, etc.
Now, I have been counting calories for long enough that I am pretty darn accurate at guessing even the crazy high calories at restaurants. But this menu totally blows me away. I mean, a crab and avocado sushi roll- eight small pieces of sushi- for 800 calories and nothing is fried? How much spicy mayo are they loading on?? I would have guessed 560 at most.

So what gives? They may be overestimating but when movie popcorn is one of your lower cal options you get a little nervous. Maybe I get a southwest shrimp salad, dressing on the side and no cheese?

https://amc-theatres-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/v1499443257/amc-cdn/general/pdf/D_FB_1103_MENU_T2_FOR REFERENCE ONLY.pdf

Replies

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    You could have the shrimp salad you mention, leave out the cheese as planned, possibly leave out tortilla strips too. Or the chicken quinoa bowl and leave out the feta cheese. Or even one of the lower calorie flatbreads. Another thing is you could just eat whatever, go over calories for a day/eat at maintenance instead of deficit and enjoy the experience for a meal, then get back on track tomorrow.
  • ladyhusker39
    ladyhusker39 Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My family loves to go to those dine in theaters. The thing is the foods not so great, it's pricey and the calories are through the roof! But we go because it's a family favorite. So I just make due the best I can. I either eat before we go, eat something very small or just "swallow" the huge calories for that meal. LOL
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'd probably go with the flatbread.
  • alexandra9119
    alexandra9119 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Omg I jealous! You know even the calories on different meals that you wouldn't think of lol. Yeah I totally get it. It's so annoying when your watching your calories and wonder why a little plate of food can take up your whole days worth of Calories!!! It does sound like a good time so live in the moment :)
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,250 Member
    Options
    I would go with the flow. Special events to me fall into the "other" category... as long as everything doesn't become a special event. I do what I can but I don't freak out about it. It's a single day, a single event. It won't ruin anything.
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    - Just double check the values are in calories not kilojoules.
    - Enjoy the evening. Use their values to count; added bonus if they've over exagerated
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    So husband and I are going on a movie date today and I like to plan ahead calorie wise. It's a dine-in theater where they serve food along with cocktails, etc.
    Now, I have been counting calories for long enough that I am pretty darn accurate at guessing even the crazy high calories at restaurants. But this menu totally blows me away. I mean, a crab and avocado sushi roll- eight small pieces of sushi- for 800 calories and nothing is fried? How much spicy mayo are they loading on?? I would have guessed 560 at most.

So what gives? They may be overestimating but when movie popcorn is one of your lower cal options you get a little nervous. Maybe I get a southwest shrimp salad, dressing on the side and no cheese?

https://amc-theatres-res.cloudinary.com/image/upload/v1499443257/amc-cdn/general/pdf/D_FB_1103_MENU_T2_FOR REFERENCE ONLY.pdf

I'm curious to know what you ended up ordering....
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I'd just enjoy myself, so long as its not every day, you'll be fine.
  • MalkinMagic71
    MalkinMagic71 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I'd just enjoy myself, so long as its not every day, you'll be fine.

This.
  • Buckeye19XX
    Buckeye19XX Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I work at a movie theater and the large popcorn alone is over 1000 calories, without adding "butter". I would stay away from theater food as much as possible simply because of the price and calorie content. Nothing there is good enough to justify the calories and price.
  • Buckeye19XX
    Buckeye19XX Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    As said before, just bring in some food of your own. We generally don't care as long as you're not bringing in bags of groceries. If it fits in your purse, it's probably fine.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'd probably go with the flatbread.
    Ditto. And I'd never guess that based on name.