Oatmeal?

Options
Do you love or hate it. I eat it but hate it.

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I neither love it nor hate it. I eat it for breakfast because it is quick to fix, fills me up for a long time, and adds a nice amount of fiber.

Quick to fix: 40g. Old Fashioned Oats, 1 cup water, microwave 2 minutes, add whatever flavoring and eat.

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    Love them. My favourite start to a winter's day but I make them with almond milk instead of water.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Life's too short. OP have you tried savory, sweet, hot, cold? Have you tried steel cut, rolled and instant?

I like them and they have a great fiber 1-2 punch (soluble and insoluble) but you can also get that from other foods too.
  • tiffanybrooks530
    tiffanybrooks530 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    love it, esp with berries, peaches, bananas, or peanut butter & maple syrup
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of hot mush. They also do nothing to fill me up - I'd need a bowl the size of my head to put a dent in my hunger hole.

I don't eat things I don't like. Life is too short, and there are plenty of better options.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Not a big fan... unless I put 300+ calories of toppings on them, but then it kinda defeats the purpose.

Weird because I used to love it as a kid, but I'm guessing that my mom didn't use the same kind of oats back then.
  • michelleharfield1272
    Options
    Don't eat it if you hate it. I put some in breakfast smoothies, and also I do make slow cooker porridge but other than that, I don't touch it.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I really REALLY love it and any other kind of grain porridge, but I would never eat it if I hated it. Don't eat it. You don't need to eat particular foods or cut out particular foods to lose weight. Just eat whatever you like.

ETA: By the way, I would rather spring for a few more calories to have it with milk than have it plain. I like it best with milk (cow milk).
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    If it's the texture you're not keen on, try a different brand/type. I love oats, but I wasn't keen on the store own brand, I prefer their "fancy" one as it has bigger pieces so a better texture :) I might try steel cut oats when I'm through my current stock!
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Not a huge fan, but after trying several breakfasts, steel cut oats are the best at keeping my blood glucose level by a long shot. Different diabetics react differently to specific foods, but for me, the combination of cinnamon apple oatmeal with peanut butter and cottage cheese is like a miracle meal, and it's nice not to have to worry about a glucose spike after eating the first meal of the day, or a big drop a couple of hours later. I put a whole bunch of cinnamon and other spices in it, make it with 2% milk, and add walnuts and Granny Smith apples while cooking.
  • Sunshine_And_Sand
    Sunshine_And_Sand Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Love it. Eat it for breakfast everyday and sometimes for lunch or dinner too if I am short on time.
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I love it, and hatred it as a kid. I would enjoy it even plain, with water and a little salt, but prefer it with some greek yogurt and fruit. Normally ihave quick oats, but discovered how great steel cut is too. Don't eat it if you don't like it, but maybe experiment with different textures and flavors a little more.
  • lucerorojo
    lucerorojo Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    I like it. I usually make it in my rice cooker (takes 2 minutes) with water and cinnamon. I'll add about 2 pecans (chopped) and 1/4 cup fresh blueberries. That's my favorite. If I don't have blueberries, I'll add dried fruit, like cranberries or raisins--but they have more calories, so I prefer the blueberries.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Love it. I have steel cut with eggs in the morning. In the afternoon I sometimes have cold steel cut with protein powder and fruit for a snack. Then lately for an evening snack I've had more cold steel cut with uncooked rolled oats, peanut butter, and chocolate chips stirred in as an evening snack.
  • cmo246
    cmo246 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Love it! One of the 3 breakfasts I usually rotate through...always low on time in the mornings, so I buy instant and mix a packet of low sugar maple with a packet of plain, add in a little PB2 and good to go! Always fills me up :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I'm learning to like oats. I prefer savory steel cut oats. I overnight them with vegetable broth and microwave for 2 minutes when I'm ready to eat it with some parmesan cheese and pepper on top.