Meat Substitutes

Options
I am currently switching to a vegetarian diet, and am looking for some suggestions for meat substitutes. I am more than willing to try new foods, but am so scared of meat substitutes! :D

What are your favorites?

Replies

• vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Some of my favorites: cheese, soy milk, Icelandic yogurt (skir), lentils, quinoa (there's a Peruvian sandwich shop near my house that has a great quinoa burger), steel cut oats, edamame, garbanzos, nut butters.
  • ashleyconleche
    ashleyconleche Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    vingogly wrote: »
    Some of my favorites: cheese, soy milk, Icelandic yogurt (skir), lentils, quinoa (there's a Peruvian sandwich shop near my house that has a great quinoa burger), steel cut oats, edamame, garbanzos, nut butters.

This is super helpful! Thank you! :)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you in the US?

My favorite commercial brands are Field Roast (sausages, deli slices), Beyond Meat (chicken strips, burgers), and Upton's Naturals (chorizo, jackfruit, bacon).

If I'm making my own, it's usually seitan or tempeh bacon.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I am limited in my ability to eat many meat subs because I'm soy intolerant and have celiac disease.

The Beyond Meat beef crumbles and burgers are both good. However, I usually stick to Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, egg whites, beans, lentils and whole grains.

Sorry, I know my dietary restrictions limit how helpful I am!
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    Are you in the US?

My favorite commercial brands are Field Roast (sausages, deli slices), Beyond Meat (chicken strips, burgers), and Upton's Naturals (chorizo, jackfruit, bacon).

I am in the US! I'm wanting to avoid soy as much as I can, are those commercial brands soy products?
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    I am limited in my ability to eat many meat subs because I'm soy intolerant and have celiac disease.

The Beyond Meat beef crumbles and burgers are both good. However, I usually stick to Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, eggs, egg whites, beans, lentils and whole grains.

Sorry, I know my dietary restrictions limit how helpful I am!

Still super helpful, thank you!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Are you in the US?

I am in the US! I'm wanting to avoid soy as much as I can, are those commercial brands soy products?

I don't avoid soy, so I couldn't tell you if the commercial products include any soy ingredients. But they're not primarily soy, they're either seitan (which is made from wheat), pea protein, or fruit.

Tempeh is a soy product.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    Are you in the US?

I don't avoid soy, so I couldn't tell you if the commercial products include any soy ingredients. But they're not primarily soy, they're either seitan (which is made from wheat), pea protein, or fruit.

Tempeh is a soy product.

I will check them out! Thanks! :)
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    Most of them are dreadful so I don't rely on them. Anything fake deli meat is horrible, I can't stand tofu, and jackfruit is despicable.

I like tempeh to replace chicken and Gardein meat crumbles for tacos. Mostly, I've learned to use veggies as a stand in. Black bean burgers are awesome, mushrooms are hearty where you would use beef, big slabs of grilled cauliflower, etc.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    I saw Gardein "meat" the other day and wondering if it was any good. Do you only use the crumbles?
  • lisa2113940
    lisa2113940 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    My favorites: Boca, Gardein, and Morning Star. Tofurkey is amazing for sandwiches. Beyond meat burgers have gotten great reviews (no soy) but I have struggled to get my hands on them in my area.
  • orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Field Roast and Beyond Meat products. However the Beyond Meat chicken strips have soy while the crumbles and Beyond Burger don't.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    edamame is sooo good and fun to eat! I found that I enjoy it with breakfast or as a bedtime snack.
    I also like Gardein products, I've liked all the ones I have tried (and i'm not a vegetarian, but I'd choose their chik'n patties over a regular one any day!) Their mandarin chikn is my also favorite. Sweet earth makes really good convenience meals with lower calories and sodium considering its frozen. Their curry tiger burrito is the best!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    I'm not vegetarian myself, but I enjoy trying new foods. I recently tried Aldi's Earth Grown Veggie Burger, and it was quite tasty. I could tell it wasn't meat, but it was unique and had lots of peas.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I was going to recommend anything by Linda McCartney, but not sure of availability in the US and I noticed since you said you're avoiding soy. (They do contain soy) but if you ever decide to try any ever, they are amazing, especially the sausages!

For a soy free meat substitute I'd say 'Seitan' It's a homemade meat sub made from mostly wheat gluten (there are gluten free versions out there if anyone's sensitive to it) veg stock and just a few other bits. It's super easy to make, very high protein, and can be used to replicate most types of meats. My favourite is this recipe; http://www.thatwasvegan.com/2012/01/30/my-favorite-chicken-style-seitan-recipe/ - some recipes call for a small amount of soy sauce, that one doesn't.

The only thing I'd say about that recipe is don't steam then refridgerate then reheat. It doesn't turn out the best texture when reheated. Serve straight after steaming. If you have any extra you want to save for later, put the extra portions in the fridge before steaming (after all the kneading and everything else) and just cook when ready to eat.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    If you want to avoid soya (I don't), I recommend trying Quorn products.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    Any idea what the Quorn products use instead of soy?
  • orangegato
    Options
    Mushroom based protein. Gives a "meaty" texture. Soy free burgers but unsure of all products being soy free. I like them too.
  • ashleyconleche
    Options
    I was standing in the grocery store just staring yesterday (I felt so clueless), and eventually just left with nothing because I had no idea what I was looking at and was too nervous to bring something home I wouldn't like. I know I have to try it, and I want to, but I think actually doing it is going to be my greatest hurdle.
  • orangegato
    Options
    You can be vegetarian without eating meat substitutes that are fake chicken or beef etc. processed food. Have you considered that and looked at cookbooks or maybe even consulted with a dietitian?