If you could talk to the old you......

Options
If you could talk to the person you were at the beginning of your weight loss journey what would you tell him/her?

Sound advice? Words of encouragement?

Maybe your words will help someone just starting out

Replies

• Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Stay off the forums. I keed... I keed. Maybe.
  • aemsley05
    aemsley05 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I'd probably say "just because MFP lets you close your diary at 1000 calories, doesn't mean you should aim to eat only that!" It took me a long while to develop better eating habits and not to try to go as low on calories as possible. Turns out there was very little difference in the "in 5 weeks you'll weight X" number anyway so I should have just eaten more! Would have saved me a lot of being hungry and sad in the first couple of months!
  • nlwrfa
    nlwrfa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have given up the first 3 times cause I'd be goal weight by now
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I had all the encouragement I needed, so definitely sound advice: do it more slowly. It took me 7-8 months to drop 60 lbs, which looking back, I think I should've stretched it into 10-12 months. I was 19 when I started losing weight, so there was really no rush. Heck, even if I was in my 40's there'd be no rush. Time will pass anyways, and there's no point in getting to a goal weight at x date or x time.
  • Farmin_Carmen
    Farmin_Carmen Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Take a picture when you start. I wish I had, for motivation and to compare. 60lbs down now, and I wish I had been brave enough to take one at my highest weight. :neutral:
  • Andy10725
    Andy10725 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Stay away from relationship.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I agree with necocari - take a pic and measurements. I didn't and now I wish I had.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself with like minded fitness freaks, achievers, doers - ditch the rest ASAP.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Edited: I misread the OP. I was giving my younger self advice about life in general.

Old me before weight loss - no advice really, except to say that you're on the right track. You got this! B)
  • Kullerva
    Kullerva Posts: 1,114 Member
    Options
    Old me before weight loss: if you keep allowing the world to scare you into invisibility, you deserve all the health problems you get. Also, men will look at anything that stays still long enough so the extra fifty pounds aren't helping as much as you think they are. :P
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I'd tell me about Keto so that I would be half the size I am right now. I think I will always wish someone had suggested keto to me from the get go.
  • Scarlett4Cosplay
    Options
    Dear old me, the middle school me who was bullied for her weight, who was alone and turned to food for comfort,
    It's okay, you are good enough, you may not realize it yet but you are--i promise. You don't need to turn to food as a source of comfort, you don't need the mcflurry to feel happy, you don't need to hide in your room at 12am binge eating Chef Boyardee like it's your last meal in order to feel something. You don't deserve the pain and loneliness, you don't deserve to feel like this, you don't deserve the bullying--no matter what anyone says, no matter how much anime you watch, how much you talk about what you love. You are sweet and kind, and things will get better.

Dear old me, the me from Freshman year of high school, the me who cried when she looked at herself in a mirror,
    Your reflection isn't everything. Don't give up on yourself, keep going. You're in a very weird stage of life, but no need to freak out. You are beautiful. You are good enough.

Hehe, i guess i had issues growing up ^^'
  • HealthyAshes88888
    HealthyAshes88888 Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    Be honest with yourself.

Those first 2 weeks may suck horribly, but once you get through them you'll feel amazing and be more motivated than ever! :)