Is this normal ?

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
And if yes, how long will it last?
I have been back to weight training after a break over the summer. I was not idle all this time, mainly swimming several times per week. Not a newbie on weight training, just wanted a break.
So, I am also back to calorie counting, trying to lose 4-5 kilos.
Since two days ago I have gained 2 kilos! It was the first week back to strength training, 3 times per week, and also back to very slow and short running intervals, no other changes.
I am not new to calorie counting, have never been overweight, just fluctuating up and down a few kilos over the years, within normal range. There is no way I have eaten enough to gain this weight, even if my counting is off, at worse case I would have been at maintenance.
So, is it normal to get this type of weight after adding weights back to weekly routine? And if yes, when does it get back to normal?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Yes its normal. If or when it goes is individual.
  • LKArgh
    Options

Ugh, feared so. It just makes me want to cry watching the scale creep up, despite knowing I can do nothing about it or that I should not care.
  • sarahthes
    sarahthes Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Measure 2L of water. That's all it is. Your body is hanging on to it to repair the muscles you are now stressing. You may keep the water weight for a while, but if you stay at a deficit you will still lose fat and you'll still see losses on the scale :)
  • levoosayegh
    levoosayegh Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »

Ugh, feared so. It just makes me want to cry watching the scale creep up, despite knowing I can do nothing about it or that I should not care.

you know that happened to me once i started lifting too . i was upset the first 2 weeks but , the trainers told me its normal and to focus on my body measurments instead of kilos or pounds . and they are right , im not loosing as i hoped . BUT my waist is shrinking and i can tell my body is , maybe not on scale but for sure by eye
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    aggelikik wrote: »
    So, is it normal to get this type of weight after adding weights back to weekly routine?

yup yup yup. as for duration, probably varies for everyone. some of it might shed as your muscles get over the doms. for me it seems to hang around for so long that i've started just folding it into my existing life, i.e. 'i'd like to lose this-much-ish per week' as opposed to 'i expect/want to weigh this much right now'.

i'm afraid it's just one of those trust-the-process things for a couple of weeks. but when it does all come off again the payoff for not-panicking is pretty nice :smile:
  • LKArgh
    Options
    Noticed today that my rings are a bit tight, as if I am swollen. Is this normal or should I talk to a dr? No blood pressure issues, usually low blood pressure is my problem.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    You're retaining water from your workout routine, perfectly normal. Give it a few weeks and it will subside.