Food for camping

Options
mlrtri
mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
Any fun and healthy food ideas for camping?

We are heading to the campground in a few weeks and this is our first time camping while I am focusing on my health/weight loss.

Replies

• birgitkwood
    birgitkwood Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    We did a lot of foil pack cooking while camping recently. A TBSP or two of oil, assorted veggies of your choice, a piece of chicken, fish or beef or pork. Season and spice as you wish. Wrap it all up in the aluminum foil TIGHT, making sure there are no air or liquid leaks. I usually ended up with four layers of foil. Place the packets on your burning embers for about 40 minutes, and you'll have a delicious meal.

We liked doing this so much, we've been cooking this way at home since then, in our oven at 450. Oh and... neither my husband nor I can cook. We're horrible at it. But this is a method that works for us. Good luck, and have fun camping!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Tent camping or camper/RV? Driving in or hiking in with a pack?
  • renderuseful
    renderuseful Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If car camping- baby carrots and hummus. It's quick, easy, and filling while you work on cooking other stuff.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    My favorite meal when I go hunting is a chunk of whatever I harvested that season with potatoes, carrots, onions and celery. If you are just camping I would just get some lean steak or chicken and wrap it with veggies in foil and throw it in the fire.
  • CarolPre
    CarolPre Posts: 1,845 Member
    Options
    Not long ago, we did chicken kabobs and corn on the cob over the fire while camping. Last time, I took a big bag of raw veggies to snack on. I even did stir-fry veggies over the campfire once using a disposable grill rack.