Vegan -- Can't Lose Weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,424 Member
    Options

Look at the calories you are consuming. Everyone needs a calorie deficit to lose weight no matter what diet they follow.
    If you are not losing than you are eating at your maintenance level. You need to reduce calorie intake, increase calorie burn or both.
    Are you tracking your food intake? Use a food scale to make sure your portions sizes are not off.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    thetonic wrote: »
    Hi, all! I am a former Paleo enthusiast who lost roughly 60 pounds on that diet. For ethical and environmental reasons, I've gone Vegan. I love the way I feel, and it has definitely helped lower blood pressure, I sleep better, my skin is clear, etc. My only issue is that I cannot lose weight. I've been at this for 2 months and haven't lost a single pound (and my clothes still fit the same).

I consulted a plant-based nutritionist and am following a meal plan she outlined so I'm definitely getting the right macros. I hike or do HIIT training 5 times a week. Nothing has changed in my lifestyle other than becoming vegan.

Is it possible that I'm just one of those people who needs a high fat, low carb diet to lose weight? I really want to continue this lifestyle, but losing weight is obviously important to me too. Any advice/help is appreciated!

There are mistakes that people commonly make that cause them to not lose weight that we might be able to spot if you change your Diary Sharing settings to Public: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Well - I can't lose either - I have a slow metabolism!
    But I cheat - saying I will eat this now and get back on food plan tomorrow.
    Then I have got into the habit of eyeballing the measurements. It all is a struggle to change.

I used to do metabolic testing in a hospital, and unless you have a real, diagnosed metabolic disease, you *don't* have a slow metabolism. I saw hundreds of disappointed people, who had convinced themselves they couldn't lose weight because of their metabolism, actually find out that because of their weight, their BMR was higher than a thin person's and their problem was how much they were eating.

This makes no sense to me. Why would you be disappointed you don't have a metabolic disease? The test means they can lose weight (if they eat less). Were they disappointed because they realized they now had to take responsibility and no longer had any excuses?

Yes.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Hey, OP. I lost 40+ as a vegan by counting calories. If you aren't already logging and hitting a calorie goal, this is a great time to begin. If you are and still aren't losing weight, open your diary and we may be able to help you spot the issue.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    evileen99 wrote: »
    Well - I can't lose either - I have a slow metabolism!
    But I cheat - saying I will eat this now and get back on food plan tomorrow.
    Then I have got into the habit of eyeballing the measurements. It all is a struggle to change.

I used to do metabolic testing in a hospital, and unless you have a real, diagnosed metabolic disease, you *don't* have a slow metabolism. I saw hundreds of disappointed people, who had convinced themselves they couldn't lose weight because of their metabolism, actually find out that because of their weight, their BMR was higher than a thin person's and their problem was how much they were eating.

This makes no sense to me. Why would you be disappointed you don't have a metabolic disease? The test means they can lose weight (if they eat less). Where they disappointed because they realized they now had to take responsibility and no longer had any excuses?

As a couple of other posters said, yes, they were disappointed because now they had no excuse for why they couldn't lose weight. It was all about calories in, calories out, and they didn't want to decrease the "calories in" part.