Where do you buy products?

Options
Where does everyone buy products like protein powder/bars/chips etc? Local food store? Whole Foods? Health food store? Vitamin Shoppe? GNC? Amazon.com? Other?

Replies

• orangegato
    orangegato Posts: 6,570 Member
    Options
    So far I have only used Amazon and local supermarket
  • VeronicaA76
    VeronicaA76 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Usually on-line from the manufacturer. Amazon + food product = bad idea. As the products aren't coming directly from the manufacturer, many are old, sometimes expired by the time you get them.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    Internet, local supplement wholesaler, supermarket.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Amazon Fresh for the bulk of my groceries

GNC for supplements and protein the first time I buy them, Amazon for refills if I like the product

Tom Thumb when I'm bored and wanna wander the grocery store

Farmers market on Saturday mornings for whatever tickles my fancy at the time. This morning I bought fresh jalapeños, raw honey, and local cheese
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Anywhere that has a sale, which is usually online. I subscribe to newsletters, and when a legitimate sale happens (i.e.not a 10% off of $300 type sale), I stock up. I'm big on saving money, so I also account for stores that have rewards. So, if two stores are having a good sale at the same time, the one that has a rewards program gets my money. I still go to brick and motor stores like VitaminShoppe if I want to give a new product a try. It's rarely a good idea to buy a box of something without having tried it first.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Usually on-line from the manufacturer. Amazon + food product = bad idea. As the products aren't coming directly from the manufacturer, many are old, sometimes expired by the time you get them.

You know that wouldn't be legal right? So is a ridiculous fear/reason to not use them? Their stock turnover is so huge I'd be very surprised if they have anything languishing in their warehouses long enough to outlive their use by dates.

OP, I'm in the UK so slightly different but Amazon, direct from manufacturer and the same place I can get meat hampers (Musclefood in case any UK bods read this). That said, I haven't used any protein supplements in ages, hit my needs with "real" food just fine.
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    I buy my protein powder from Amazon....15% discount via subscribe and save....and sometimes protein bars, if I find one I really like. Most of my bars and shaker cups come from vitamin shoppe. Vitamins come from the grocery store.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    Amazon and a few local grocery stores. Amazon has a few specialty products I use fresher and cheaper than I can buy them locally because they move more volume than the local grocer does.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »

On the contrary. Amazon has such a rapid turnover in inventory its the exact opposite. The stuff I get from Amazon Fresh is always fresher and with later expiry dates than what I get at the grocery store. The produce I get through Amazon has all been amazing, and at less cost than the grocery store.

That's been my experience as well, and while I'm not buying produce, I am buying a few things you can judge by freshness.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I like Netrition.com for things like DaVinci sugar free syrups, and funky things like sugar substitutes and wheat flour substitutes when I want to experiment with a new recipe. The shipping is rather high, so I wait and place a larger order.
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    I just buy normal food in normal stores. I'm boring :/

+1
  • Aerona85
    Aerona85 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    I don't. But all my food at the grocery store, and I don't subscribe to powders and whatnot.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    I usually buy my products from local merchants: food I get from various groceries, depending on who has what on sale, or the Farmer's Market in season. The few vitamins I take (multi and D3) I either buy from Costco or Amazon, depending on who has the better price. I used to do more with protein powders which I got from Walmart because they had the best price.
  • vaman
    vaman Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I just buy normal food in normal stores. I'm boring :/

Me too!
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Aldi's and Costco... I'm cheap and poor.

broke-monopoly-guy.png
  • earlnabby
    Options
    Aldi's and Costco... I'm cheap and poor.

broke-monopoly-guy.png

Yup. My locally owned Piggly Wiggly has great sales on meat too so I stock up when I can.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Online only because i can get super cheap. WAY too expensive in stores!
  • earlnabby
    edited September 2017
    Options
    nm