20 mile ride tomorrow - yes or no?

Options
There's a 20 mile (and a 44) ride near where I live tomorrow. I haven't trained for it, but I'm reasonably fit, and I cycle to work, run and do gym classes twice a week.I did a 60 mile ride last year, and have done a couple of 30 milers before that. Should I go for it?

Replies

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Sure - I'd probably take the first half easy or so and see how you feel but 20m is doable
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Just to be clear i 'm thinking about the 20miler,not the 44!
  • neldabg
    neldabg Posts: 1,452 Member
    Options
    Personally, I would do it! The worst thing that happens is that you'll need some breaks, but since you're fit already, you might surprise yourself.
  • samthepanda
    Options
    I know this sounds silly but I have never done an event like this on my own. I have some anxiety issues and so I feel a bit daunted by the prospect of doing it on my own, even just register ing etc but I think it will be good for me to do it.
  • neldabg
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I know this sounds silly but I have never done an event like this on my own. I have some anxiety issues and so I feel a bit daunted by the prospect of doing it on my own, even just register ing etc but I think it will be good for me to do it.

Perhaps you can browse some motivational videos on YouTube to give yourself the extra push needed to do it. Your thoughts are correct; in facing and overcoming fears, we become stronger.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Definitely go for it.
    Hide any anxiety behind your sunglasses and fake it until you make it.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Unless you haven't been riding at all for the past few months I wouldn't think you would have any trouble at all riding 20 miles.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options

I do events like this on my own all the time. Do it - you'll meet some awesome people along the way, and you'll feel like you've accomplished something good at the finish!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    Do it! I've just started cycling and the cycling community is the best. Have fun!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Yes, sure thing, op. Go for it!
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Well done you!

:flowerforyou:
  • neldabg
    Options
    Thanks guys. Well I did it! Lovely morning, got windy as it went along. You just started when you were ready within a 2 hour window so I did it all on my own, but had a few chats and words of encouragement as people passed. I just stopped once briefly at 9 miles, really wanted a break later but it was only about 4 miles to go, and it was getting cooler and grey clouds were gathering and I didn't want to get caught in the rain so pushed on. I was feeling quite sick by the end and one of my bodies weird things is that I get really cold sometimes, especially when tired, and that happened. Had a few minutes when anxieties really started to rise as I was shaking and cold, every time I went towards the coffee van to get a drink to warm up the smell of the coffee made me feel sick. Eventually got the coffee, nearly scalded myself as it spilt, but no huge drama and sorted myself out. Home now.

Oh wow! I'm so glad you went out and did it!!!! :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,865 Member
    Options
    There's a 20 mile (and a 44) ride near where I live tomorrow. I haven't trained for it, but I'm reasonably fit, and I cycle to work, run and do gym classes twice a week.I did a 60 mile ride last year, and have done a couple of 30 milers before that. Should I go for it?

Go for it!

Oh, I see you did ... good. :)

Next time go for the 44 mile ride.
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Great job!!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Awesome!
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Great job, @samthepanda , congratulations on finishing it. Train a little and do it again! . Also, your shaking and being cold sounds to me like your body was demanding some food. Did you eat before the ride? 20 miles isn't a long ride, but if you are not used to it, it will be pretty demanding on your body. You can bring snacks to have something fueling your ride, this way you aren't running the risk of simly passing out. You burn significant amount of calories cycling, so make sure to eat property.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Well I did it! Lovely morning, got windy as it went along. You just started when you were ready within a 2 hour window so I did it all on my own, but had a few chats and words of encouragement as people passed. I just stopped once briefly at 9 miles, really wanted a break later but it was only about 4 miles to go, and it was getting cooler and grey clouds were gathering and I didn't want to get caught in the rain so pushed on. I was feeling quite sick by the end and one of my bodies weird things is that I get really cold sometimes, especially when tired, and that happened. Had a few minutes when anxieties really started to rise as I was shaking and cold, every time I went towards the coffee van to get a drink to warm up the smell of the coffee made me feel sick. Eventually got the coffee, nearly scalded myself as it spilt, but no huge drama and sorted myself out. Home now.

Fantastic! And kudos for pushing through the discomfort - win all around!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options

Well done
  • samthepanda
    Options
    icemom011 wrote: »
    Great job, @samthepanda , congratulations on finishing it. Train a little and do it again! . Also, your shaking and being cold sounds to me like your body was demanding some food. Did you eat before the ride? 20 miles isn't a long ride, but if you are not used to it, it will be pretty demanding on your body. You can bring snacks to have something fueling your ride, this way you aren't running the risk of simly passing out. You burn significant amount of calories cycling, so make sure to eat property.

Thanks. My body is bit weird and i do get very cold sometimes. I haven't done a ride longer than my 3 mile commute this year so am out of practice. I had my normal weetabix, but not much to drink, but had had the trots the day before (and with anxieties some issues on the morning!) so probably was dehydrated. I know I don't have the endurance that I used to.