Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Too fat to adopt a child

Options
13»

Replies

• Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options
    Calm the *kitten* down, people.

Here is the study from the Adopt Change website:

https://engonetac.blob.core.windows.net/assets/uploads/files/Barriers_research_2017.pdf

I quote:

"The findings of this study suggest that personal factors do not generally
    pose a major obstacle to adoption for the majority of survey respondents.
    Less than 7 per cent of respondents indicate that health issues had
    prevented them from being eligible to adopt."
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Again showing the absurdity that some unaccountable bureaucrat in a government agency can make a decision based upon one metric. There must be a holistic review of a couple to be a best fit between the children and parents.

Is having overweight parents worse than being a ward of the state?

I was adopted in the US in 1971 - no idea if this rule was in place or anything similar. All I know is that I was doubly blessed - with biological parents who realized that taking care of a child was above and beyond their current ability and with my real parents who opened up their home to a child and loved me as their own.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Aerona85 wrote: »
    jdlobb wrote: »
    This forum gets its hackles up over BMI far too easily. No, it's not a perfect measure, but it is the best there is. For the overwhelming majority of people it is an incredibly reliable predictor of weight problems. The people it doesn't work for are statistical outliers, not at all the norm.

Actually, no it is not all there is. Body composition tests anyone? BMI was created as a way to track obesity in a large population. The statistician who created it (in the 1800s) even said it cannot and should not be used at an individual level.

actually "The concept of BMI - a simple ratio of weight in relation to height, was the work of a Belgian statistician, Adolphe Quetelet who published his "Quetelet Index" in 1832. It is important to emphasise that Quetelet had no interest in studying obesity when he developed this index."

http://www.cutthewaist.com/bmi.html

It does go on to say it is limited but again those are statistical outliers..