Opinion on diet sodas and weight loss

Options

Replies

• scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I gained weight by eating too much and I'm losing weight by eating less. Doesn't make a bit of difference whether diet fizzy drinks are part of the "less" - I'm still losing weight just fine.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I've lost 90 pounds. Diet soda has never been an issue.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Diet soda does NOT hinder weight loss, though certain behaviors surrounding its consumption can. If you, like me, do not exhibit said behaviors (craving and eating more sweets or other foods in excess, thinking you've freed up more calories than you actually have and overeating, etc) then you may find it immensely helpful.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I doubt that much sodium is good for you, but they won't hurt your weight loss.

There is less sodium in a can of diet soda than there is in your tap water if you use a water softener. (on average, 25-40 mg per 12 oz serving)
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    I religiously consume diet drinks all year round, especially when dieting. They have no negative effect on my progress and if anything help with cravings so are beneficial to me.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    My only concern with diet soda is the potential effects on insulin production, which research has shown can be affected simply by tasting something sweet whether it contains calories or not. But that concern basically disappears if you're consuming them along with food. The only time it would be an issue would be if you drank them alone, between meals.

Maybe it's woo, but not a risk I'm willing to take.

Its a huge myth as diet soda does not have sugar... it have non sugar sweeteners.

And even if it did affect insulin, why would it matter? Unless a period had a broken endocrine system, it would be regulated correct.

Op, i lost 50+ lbs drink 2 to 3 diet dews a day. I also drink 120 to 150 oz of water. I drink a lot.
  • BrianAWeber
    BrianAWeber Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I gave up all soda's altogether. Instead I drink either water or flavored carbonated water. I can't stand the taste of artificial sweeteners or how it tends to coat my mouth and teeth.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Noel_57 wrote: »
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Does Aspartame ‘Spike Insulin’?

No. It doesn’t. There is zero evidence to suggest that aspartame spikes insulin levels – in both healthy and diabetic individuals. And the only studies that have found this to be the case were done on, surprise surprise, rats.

Even if it did spike insulin – it doesn’t, but if it did in some alternate reality – so what? Insulin spikes are a perfectly normal function of a perfectly normal and healthy functioning body. Even protein spikes insulin. And if you’re still subscribing to the “insulin causes fat gain” dumbkittenery – it’s time you updated your factz.
    Yes. Unfortunately, this also blows ketoscience to smithereens - that simply avoiding carbs will lower insulin levels (assuming that high insulin contributes to obesity, when it's actually the other way around) Eating a four ounce hamburger patty raises insulin more than a cup of pasta.

My 1.5 hour session swimming laps raises my blood glucose as much as 30 points. Raised glucose is followed by raised insulin in order to handle the glucose.
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I doubt that much sodium is good for you, but they won't hurt your weight loss.

If OP is drinking 3 diet sodas per day that's 120 mg of sodium. Why would that be a concern?

The concern is that most people already consume more sodium than is recommended. Why add 120mg in the form of something that serves no purpose?

It serves the same purpose as water (hydration) which has about the same amount of sodium. Should we abstain from drinking water since it's likely that we're already consuming too much sodium from other sources?!
  • Carlos_421
    Carlos_421 Posts: 5,132 Member
    Options
    jdlobb wrote: »
    My only concern with diet soda is the potential effects on insulin production, which research has shown can be affected simply by tasting something sweet whether it contains calories or not. But that concern basically disappears if you're consuming them along with food. The only time it would be an issue would be if you drank them alone, between meals.

Maybe it's woo, but not a risk I'm willing to take.

Please link to said research.