12 hour shifters

Options
I used to a work a fairly normal hourly job, 8-4:30 with weekends off. During that time it was pretty easy for me to meal prep, plan my work outs, log my food, and still be there for my kids and take care of my home. Now, I am working a job (which I absolutely love) that is 12+ hour shifts. My work days are not set. I clock in at 7:45, and as for when I clock out, it depends on what time the last patient walks in, and what they are being seen for.

I have tried waking up early to work out, but then I am too tired when I get home to spend any amount of time with my kids. I have tried telling myself I will work out in the evening, but again, by the time I get home it could be anywhere between 9pm-11pm. Even if my kids are sleeping at that point, I am still too tired to work out. I do get walks or jogs in on my days off, but I feel like they aren't up to my full potential. I also try to cram all of my adulting duties into my day off, including meal prep. Sometimes I am lucky enough to have 3 days off in a row, other weeks, I have every other day off.

So, I guess I am looking for motivation and ideas from others who have funky work hours. Do you time block your days off? Do you just not put too much pressure on yourself on the days you work? How do you balance it all?

Replies

• NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse that works 12 hour shifts, I find it harder to stick to a regime when I am at home actually. I prelog in MFP to get me through the days that I work. Also I am a corrections nurse so I don't have access to snacks because we are not allowed to bring anything like that past the gates:)
  • WeepingAngel81
    WeepingAngel81 Posts: 2,232 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse that works 12 hour shifts, I find it harder to stick to a regime when I am at home actually. I prelog in MFP to get me through the days that I work. Also I am a corrections nurse so I don't have access to snacks because we are not allowed to bring anything like that past the gates:)

How much time do you allow on your days off for logging and prep? I think I am putting a lot of pressure on myself on the days that I work, then on my days off I don't follow through. I like the idea of pre logging. How far ahead of time do you prep your food for?

• NurseKristi81
    NurseKristi81 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I prep the food that I am going to take with me the day before I begin my 2 or 3 day stretches of 12 hours shifts. That includes all snacks and breakfast and lunch meals. LIke I said I have MORE issues eating right when I am home than when I am at work.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    Thanks Kristi! How long does it typically take you to prep? Do you have any favorite items you prep?
  • kaydensmom2009
    kaydensmom2009 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I work 12's as a nurse as well. I focus on my diet those days of the week and don't worry about exercising if I don't feel like it, I just make sure I'm in a calorie deficit. I also meal plan for a couple of hours before the 12's for my dinners and just make sure I have gone shopping for easy to grab snacks like string cheese, light yogurt, fruit, 100 calorie popcorn, salads.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    I hadn't even thought of those 100 cal snacks. That's a great idea!
  • mandy_godfree
    mandy_godfree Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My standard hours are 10 hour shifts but the truth is I only have a start time, and a time I'm not allowed to go home before. I never know how long my days are going to be. So I just don't exercise on a work day, and if I work a particularly long shift or quick turn around between shifts I usually give myself a recovery day as well. But the longer shifts you work it should mean you have more days off than those working 8 hours so I just use those days to catch up on the exercise. While I'm on a work day I'm fairly particular about my calorie counting instead.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I work at a children's hospital urgent care and like you my hours can vary 10-12. I pre-log as well and carefully plan everything that I will eat that day. If I forget anything, it's toooo bad. I do pack extra energy/protein bars, those can be a lifesaver.
  • bhurley100
    bhurley100 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts sometimes more. I have tried getting up early to workout and I feel great but if Im working a few 12 hour shifts in a row, I find myself lacking sleep and I can't function. So, I worry about meal prep the day before and pack munchy snacks like grapes, celery and carrot sticks, greek yogurt, or whole wheat crackers. I stretch and do squats and push ups and burpees at work if I have a client taking a nap or out with a therapist. I don't get to exercise when I get home. On days off, I have to make sure the bad snacks and treats are hidden away. I drink a glass of water when I feel the munchies and will take kids down stairs so Im able to do my exercises.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    I work at a children's hospital urgent care and like you my hours can vary 10-12. I pre-log as well and carefully plan everything that I will eat that day. If I forget anything, it's toooo bad. I do pack extra energy/protein bars, those can be a lifesaver.

Yes, I work in urgent care. Mine are always, at the very least, 12 hour days. What bars do you prefer?

bhurley100 wrote: »
    I work 12 hour shifts sometimes more. I have tried getting up early to workout and I feel great but if Im working a few 12 hour shifts in a row, I find myself lacking sleep and I can't function.

Yes! This is exactly what I struggle with. I tend to put the pressure on myself to get up early, then I can't function, which leads to me being exhausted on my days off. Then I get overwhelmed and feel guilty for not getting much done.

My standard hours are 10 hour shifts but the truth is I only have a start time, and a time I'm not allowed to go home before. I never know how long my days are going to be. So I just don't exercise on a work day, and if I work a particularly long shift or quick turn around between shifts I usually give myself a recovery day as well. But the longer shifts you work it should mean you have more days off than those working 8 hours so I just use those days to catch up on the exercise. While I'm on a work day I'm fairly particular about my calorie counting instead.

Unfortunately, lately, I haven't had more days off. I wish I did! I've been working overtime because we are understaffed. We have hired new people, so there is a light at the end of that tunnel. I think, like you, I need to give myself a workout break on work days and focus more on calorie control.
  • keodell1966
    keodell1966 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I like Clif bars mostly, but will buy most any if they have good flavors. ONE bar makes a birthday cake flavor when I want something a bit different.
  • WeepingAngel81
    Options
    Oh my goodness! Birthday cake flavored sounds amazing!