Adding calories to meals

I have a hard time reaching the 1200 calorie goal. I am easily 100-300 beneath it. I eat a lot of vegetables the majority of the week (300-500g/day) and I just simply feel stuffed.

I've read on many forums that maintaining below 1200 calories can have long term negative effects, but does it count as malnourished if you eat carbs, enough protein and a lot of vegetables? I have never been a huge eater, I only gained weight because I ate high caloric food, especially candy, and did no exercise.

Should I perhaps cook the food in such a way to up the calories? I can't really see how adding an extra bit of butter, cheese or whatever would help with nutrients though. Or should I just accept that my healthy days would be low in calories, and my possible cheat days could exist of rich food? I don't have particular cheat days, but social events do happen.

I'm 1.6m (5'3'') and currently weigh 87kg (191lbs)

Replies

• whosshe
    whosshe Posts: 597 Member
    Following this thread cause I have the same problem.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    You gained weight because you ate more than you burned, not because you ate candy...

But yes, prolonged call rise under 1200 can cause long-term damage - cheese, butter etc isn't going to hurt you - add some nuts, or avocado to your daily eating
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Fat is a nutrient. You do need some fats in your healthy diet and it sounds like that is where you could make some changes.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/FatsAndOils/Fats-101_UCM_304494_Article.jsp#mainContent
    http://www.umass.edu/nibble/infofile/fat.html

You could choose less lean meats, avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, oils, some more dairy.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
  • deannalfisher
    nads_ayoub wrote: »
    I personally think lifestyle should also be taken into consideration. People say 1200 is the baseline but maybe that's for women who are moving/burning more than some of us are. I work from home and have a lot of domestic help so the only physical activity I do is cook for an hour or two everyday but other than that I don't do much - unless going out for coffee/lunch counts! I'm not going to say how many calories I consume but for sure if I do 1200 or more then I'll have to exercise a lot more to burn it. As long as you are eating well, getting good nutrition including good fats, proteins, carbs etc and if its adequate keeping your lifestyle in mind then it should be okay.

No! Your body burns calories just by existing - my BMR (what I burn by merely breathing) is approx 1430cal a day that does not take into account any movement or working out but just being...
  • FeelingAlive
    FeelingAlive Posts: 117 Member
    The amount of high caloric food (candy, sodas, fries, rich pasta with creamy sauces, for example) I consumed gave me a lot more energy than I was able to burn, so I gained weight. The volume of the food I consumed was still lower than many of my friends who were at a healthy weight, I simply just ate the wrong food with minimal vegetables. I know why I gained weight, and that is why I am losing weight - because I have substituted the high caloric food with low caloric food, but in consequence the volumes changed as well, and I feel physically uncomfortable and full before I can meet 1200 calories.

The food type I am lacking behind on is fats, which I have reduced for quite a few years now. My family is genetically predispositioned for high cholesterol, so I am looking out for that. Nuts do not seem like too bad an idea though.
  • deannalfisher
    Research show that dietary cholesterol isn't an influential as we were taught to believe...

Add some full fat yogurt in (Noosa, brown cow, fage Whole); avocado, cream cheese (I mix it in with veggies or rice)
  • FeelingAlive
    Lounmoun wrote: »
    Fat is a nutrient. You do need some fats in your healthy diet and it sounds like that is where you could make some changes.
    http://www.heart.org/HEARTORG/HealthyLiving/FatsAndOils/Fats-101_UCM_304494_Article.jsp#mainContent
    http://www.umass.edu/nibble/infofile/fat.html

You could choose less lean meats, avocado, nuts, seeds, nut butters, oils, some more dairy.
    https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1

Thanks for the information, this is very helpful.

I am at the moment a very, very sedentary person. I am not eating 1200 because it appears to be the 'golden number for weight loss'. I am eating it because the food I am preparing barely makes up for it, and I am simply not as hungry as I used to be (I've been watching what I eat since January). I am moving to a new neighbourhood soon, and will start exercises. I will then increase my calorie intake, because it would be unhealthy otherwise. I started this thread to get advice, because I know I need it. I am not an expert.

I don't eat red meat and I don't eat chicken or fish very regularly or in large amounts, because I don't like it. I get the majority of my proteins from plants and dairy. I eat yogurt daily, I eat carbs. I don't snack a lot anymore because my meals make me full.
  • FeelingAlive
    Research show that dietary cholesterol isn't an influential as we were taught to believe...

Add some full fat yogurt in (Noosa, brown cow, fage Whole); avocado, cream cheese (I mix it in with veggies or rice)

Fats are definitely healthy and I am not avoiding them completely, I am simply consuming a small amount. All my mom's siblings (including her), her mother (who is a fragile thing) are on medication for high cholesterol. I study genetics and have dealt with similar case studies. Diet contributes greatly, and people with my family history should be careful.

But I will look into fats and what types I can enjoy. I guess I'll just try and raise the calories for each meal, but I know it would be impossible for me to prepare more food than I am already eating.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Chocolate?. Ice cream?
    Butter?
    You can easily blow those 1200 Cal out of the water
  • FeelingAlive
    rmgnow wrote: »
    Chocolate?. Ice cream?
    Butter?

Which I do not want to do. It took me almost a year to curb my sweet tooth, and eating those daily (because I have a daily problem meeting the calories) will ruin my progress eventually. I prefer healthier substitutes, like the list provided above. I'm not saying no to nice snacks forever, I just want to keep it minimal and have it on special occasions.

I'm an extremely fussy eater and don't consume things like condiments, which gives more calories for those who do enjoy it. My food is always plain, because that's how my taste preferences are. I don't even eat avo because I find that gross. So yeah, this is difficult.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    edited September 2017
    rmgnow wrote: »
    Chocolate?. Ice cream?
    Butter?

Which I do not want to do. It took me almost a year to curb my sweet tooth, and eating those daily (because I have a daily problem meeting the calories) will ruin my progress eventually. I prefer healthier substitutes, like the list provided above. I'm not saying no to nice snacks forever, I just want to keep it minimal and have it on special occasions.

I'm an extremely fussy eater and don't consume things like condiments, which gives more calories for those who do enjoy it. My food is always plain, because that's how my taste preferences are. I don't even eat avo because I find that gross. So yeah, this is difficult.

I'm just saying its easier to get to your 1200 with chocolate and ice cream.
    1200 is super low already.
    Keep going at that rate you'll just be incredibly weak
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    OP, are you using a food scale? And about how much weight have you been losing per week?
  • FeelingAlive
    Yes, I am using a food scale and tracking quite religiously. It isn't my aim to eat this little, this is why I posted on here. I just want some alternatives and ideas. At the start of my weight loss (January) I lost around 1-2 pounds a week for 2-3 weeks (I think), and it gradually slowed until I hit a plateau for three months. I'm 'officially' weighing tomorrow but noticed I've lost around 2 pounds this week, which is the first lost in a long time.

I don't feel tired or hungry, but that is because I am very sedentary. I'm studying for finals and currently live in a dangerous place. I'm moving in two weeks and will incorporate exercise into my regime and would love to add more calories, because it's the healthy way to go. I just need advice on how to do so without upping on sugary stuff.

I cut out sodas years ago and have never drank alcohol. I don't drink my calories so(except milk) so it's coming only from eating.
  • kimny72
    I only ask because it is very unlikely for a young healthy woman who isn't very small or already underweight to maintain on such a tiny amount of calories.

Could you cook with some olive oil? Salad dressing? Do you eat grains? Perhaps some whole grains like barley or rice. Or a potato or sweet potato?

If you are truly maintaining at or below 1200 I would also suggest a checkup with blood work when you get a chance. You are young and not unusually small, even while sedentary you should be losing weight at less than 1200.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1
    avocado
    cheese
    full fat dairy
    Greek yogurt
    peanut butter (or other nut butters)
    dark chocolate
    seeds (chia, flax, sunflower, etc.)
    nuts
    olive oil
    coconut oil
    butter
    beans and lentils
    protein shakes, bars, and smoothies
    hummus
    cornbread
    tuna
    guacamole
    whole grain pasta
    rice
    whole eggs
    quinoa
    fruit and fruit juices
    pretzels
    bananas
    scones
    muffins (bran, blueberry, banana nut, etc.)
    potatoes (sweet, red, gold, purple, white, etc.)
    dried fruit (raisins, apricots, plums, dates, etc.)
    granola
    coconut
    salmon
    edamame
    olives
    honey
    molasses
  • FeelingAlive
    edited September 2017
    kimny72 wrote: »
    I only ask because it is very unlikely for a young healthy woman who isn't very small or already underweight to maintain on such a tiny amount of calories.

Could you cook with some olive oil? Salad dressing? Do you eat grains? Perhaps some whole grains like barley or rice. Or a potato or sweet potato?

If you are truly maintaining at or below 1200 I would also suggest a checkup with blood work when you get a chance. You are young and not unusually small, even while sedentary you should be losing weight at less than 1200.

Had some blood work done, used to be insulin resistant (which I've reversed), have high testosterone and had high iron levels (the later is also reversed due to me not consuming red meat and too many iron-rich food). Also have a lot of symptoms synonym to that of PCOS, although I haven't been diagnosed with it.

I don't like salad dressings, but I'll start adding more fats to my diet. What calorie range would you suggest for me? Especially when I start walking. I am not entirely unfit. I did a 8km hike last Sunday (with a group of friends at a different area than I live currently), which I found quite easy. When I get the chance I walk, but I've been stuck in a place for the past three months that is an hour's drive from the nearest town and it's dangerous.

I never paid enough attention concerning calorie counting in the past so all this is new to me, and I appreciate your advice. My mom has always complained about how difficult it was to cook for me, and I'm now doing my own cooking for a few years now. I guess it would actually just be beneficial to spice up the vegetables more lol
  • Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Do you not like peanut butter? A peanut butter sandwich can be 300 calories or more if needed. 2 slices of bread (100 cals each) and 1 tbsp PB (100 cals). This would be easy to add to your morning. Or, cut it in half and eat half in the morning and half at night.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 wrote: »

Had some blood work done, used to be insulin resistant (which I've reversed), have high testosterone and had high iron levels (the later is also reversed due to me not consuming red meat and too many iron-rich food). Also have a lot of symptoms synonym to that of PCOS, although I haven't been diagnosed with it.

I don't like salad dressings, but I'll start adding more fats to my diet. What calorie range would you suggest for me? Especially when I start walking. I am not entirely unfit. I did a 8km hike last Sunday (with a group of friends at a different area than I live currently), which I found quite easy. When I get the chance I walk, but I've been stuck in a place for the past three months that is an hour's drive from the nearest town and it's dangerous.

I never paid enough attention concerning calorie counting in the past so all this is new to me, and I appreciate your advice. My mom has always complained about how difficult it was to cook for me, and I'm now doing my own cooking for a few years now. I guess it would actually just be beneficial to spice up the vegetables more lol

Honestly, if you aren't losing weight, I'm not sure you should be eating more. I'm going to admit I'm out of my depth here! Once you start exercising though, definitely log your exercise and eat back some of those calories.