IIFYM VS LOW CARB

Options
Still hung up about this. I just don't know where to start. Low carb? IIFYM? Counting calories? Someone help. Looking to lose like 60ish pounds hopefully by the beginning of next year. (Aiming high I know)

Replies

• karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting is king and the bottom line.... how you get there is what is sustainable and realistic for you.

I personally count calories only but shoot to hit protein/fiber/fat goals and fill it in with carbs. I try to keep sodium under 3k. I do have treats that fit in that framework daily.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Still hung up about this. I just don't know where to start. Low carb? IIFYM? Counting calories? Someone help. Looking to lose like 60ish pounds hopefully by the beginning of next year. (Aiming high I know)

Calorie deficit.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    Calorie counting is king and the bottom line.... how you get there is what is sustainable and realistic for you.

I personally count calories only but shoot to hit protein/fiber/fat goals and fill it in with carbs. I try to keep sodium under 3k. I do have treats that fit in that framework daily.

I would argue that calories are king for weight loss but calorie counting isn't strictly necessary. A lot of people like it, but a lot of other methods can get someone into the needed calorie deficit without counting calories. I'd say it's important for the OP to play around and see what works best for them.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Start anywhere! Pick a method that appeals to you and try it out.

Personally, I started with straight calorie counting and then over time I transitioned to a more IIFYM style of eating (after a short detour into low carb). We can't predict what will work best for you. I like calorie counting because of that all important calorie deficit for weight loss, but you might find something else easier for you.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    fjmartini wrote: »
    You'll loose weight that's not just fat but also potentially muscle. The CICO thinking is shockingly popular on here. I'm certain you can't do a body recomp following a CICO diet which tells me that all calories aren't the same.

You're absolutely, certainly, 100% mistaken.

First of all, you completely misunderstand what CICO is. If you're losing weight on a keto diet, it's due to CICO. If you're losing weight on a vegan, paleo, IIFYM, IF or any other kind of diet, it's due to CICO. CICO isn't a "diet", it's an acronym defining the law of energy balance.

Second of all, keto is probably the worst possible diet to try to recomp or gain muscle. Carbs are anti-catabolic, and keto is lacking in carbs. You don't gain muscle by swilling fat all day long. A diet which is higher in carbs and protein is much more optimal for preserving/building muscle.

Where did I mention keto once?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    The units of energy are used differently in the body. CICO I assume is "calories in and calories out." You can't convince me that a 1500 calorie diet will yield the same health results if 75% of it is carbs compared to a more specialized diet like the ketogenic where fat is 75% of the calories.

Assuming protein was the same in both diets, they would be equal. Carb based diets are more supportive of muscle growth and sustainment. Keto can support muscle sustainment if protein is high, you unlikely to gain any muscle.

The biggest take away is dietaty compliance. High protein diets have been shown to be the best. Carb and fat levels are individualistic. From my observation, volume eaters and those who are insulin sensitive do better on carb diets while those who are IR do better on fat based diets.

OP, id put protein around 1.5 to 2.2g/kg and a moderate deficit. Then play with foods to ser what is the most sustainable and filling.

Over consumption of protein gets stored as glycogen just like carbs.

Whats your point? We have a average storage capacity of 300 to 500g of glycogen... more in those who exercise. And fatty acids are more likely to be stored as fat since its leas metabolically taxing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    The person that started this thread wants to drop 60 pounds, I assume, as fast as she can. She asked specific questions and someone posted a generic chart I see on here often. I quoted the chart essentially saying it was a lazy response and not directly answering her question.

As we cannot answer her question, there is no direct answer to her question - only she can discover what way of eating will best satiate her and make it easiest for her to maintain a calorie deficit.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

Whichever one you will stick with :smile:

I would suggest taking a couple of weeks and just calorie counting/logging your food. Also make note each day of how you feel - did you struggle not to eat more? Were you tired or full of energy? How much did you enjoy what you ate? Then go back and look for patterns - What did you eat on the good days? Where did you waste calories? Then go from there.

You don't have to eat in any particular way. I focus number one on hitting my calories. Number two on getting over 80g of protein. Number three on getting 25g of fiber. I find when I do that my other numbers fall into place and I feel fine at my calorie goal.

The whole carb thing differs person to person. Some people find carbs don't fill them up and make them crave more. I actually find carbs fill me up and I have low energy when I happen to eat lower carb. Pay attention to your log and you'll figure it out :drinker: