I need more protein. Tofu recipies?

Options
I'm thinking especially for night time snacking instead of pop corn. sweet? can you do things with it like jellies? jello? chocolate?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Silken tofu can be a great base for chocolate puddings. Check out this recipe: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1012538-mexican-chocolate-tofu-pudding?mcubz=0
  • Wiggymommy
    Wiggymommy Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Miso soup is a good one. Lots of recipes online for it.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    If you don't mind making soups with tofu, try out hot & sour soup. For protein it uses extra firm tofu cut into rectangular squares and sometimes cubed pork.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sometimes, when I don't need an entire package for a recipe, I cut the leftovers into slices or strips, add some seasoning, and just dunk it in something low-cal as a dip. (Soy sauce works for me. I've done measured amounts of low-calorie salad dressing or ketchup, too. A few drops of sriracha will work, as well.)
  • cjsacto
    cjsacto Posts: 1,421 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I love tofu with roasted with veggies. Just cut up a mess of your favorite veggies (I always include whole garlic cloves), cubed firm tofu, and toss with 1 TBSP oil, season, and bake on a cookie sheet at 350 for 30 min. You'll want to stir/flip them once.

I like tofu stir-fried, too. Saute some onions & garlic, add the tofu after the onions have softened. Then add a bunch of chopped veggies. Don't overcook the veggies, put in at different times depending how much time they need to cook and stay firm. Add favorite spices. Eat with brown rice, bread, a wrap, quinoa, or by itself. I also like to put the cooked tofu and vegetables on a bed of romaine and eat as a giant salad.

I also like lentils with potatoes, cabbage, and tofu seasoned with turmeric (or use curry powder) and a little cayenne. Also can add garlic, onions, and ginger. Different lentils take different amount of time to cook, careful if you don't want mush. I always start the potatoes boiling first cause they take the longest to cook. Lentils have a good amt of protein, too.

For a protein boost, I scramble 3 oz of tofu with one real egg. Tastes like egg.

ETA: Sorry, I missed the question about late night sweet snacks, lol. I made tofu chocolate mousse once. It was passable but I prefer tofu as a savory dish. Not tofu, but you might like Chia pudding (I've tried to like it, not a fan). Put chia seeds in real milk or milk replacement. Add chocolate, vanilla or whatever. Wait, it turns gelatinous and weird but some ppl love it.