Abs-how often

Options
Looking at various ab workouts, many indicate doing then every day. This does not match up with the advice to let your muscles recover before working them again.

Is there any reason abs/core are an exception?

Replies

• enyagoboom
    enyagoboom Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    my understanding from many years ago when i danced for hours every day and had teachers that had us do a lot of abs at the start and end of every class was that abs are many layered muscles that can definitely take the work every day.
  • JESS96921
    JESS96921 Posts: 13 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    The advice I usually hear is regarding doing abs *not* to do weight training immediately afterwards. I think a lot of people advise 3 times a week for strength and more sessions for further intensity :)
  • JenObRN
    JenObRN Posts: 102 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    There are different ab muscles, so maybe one day do transverse, the next day do obliques?
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with training your core frequently. I don't like to say "abs" as that would be a waste just training them and not the other muscles of your core. I like using a variety of exercises & isometric holds and don't forget to train rotation & anti-rotation.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks
  • _BlahBlah_BlackSheep_
    Options
    I never specifically work my abs. I find that I sufficiently gain core strength through compound lifts; between that and diet, I don't really see a reason to do ab workouts.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    susanp57 wrote: »
    Exactly why are you putting abs in quotation marks. Would you feel better if I used the entire word, abdominals? Your response goes far beyond the question I asked and assumes I am looking for a six pack, that I am not lifting, and is rather condescending.
    Because you did not define which abdominal muscles you are referring to or what your training goals are.
    Therefore I clarified which question I was answering.

If you are on any sort of proven compound lifting program then additional abdominal work is either (A) mostly unnecessary or (B) already part of the program.

However, you refer to "ab workouts" which means you are looking at additional stuff that is not already part of a compound lifting program.
    Specifically you are asking about targeted abdominal training.
    That is akin to the idea of "spot reducing" (a fallacy) and I cut that off before it got started as a precaution.

I told you everything you needed to know:
    1) "Ab workouts" are not usually necessary if you are lifting properly and 2) Your body fat needs to drop before most effective "Ab workouts" can be performed.

If you consider an attempt at a complete and directed response to a be condescending then you are on your own.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,982 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    If you are on any sort of proven compound lifting program then additional abdominal work is either (A) mostly unnecessary or (B) already part of the program.

If you are doing this, I'd say that any additional ab work is entirely unnecessary.

At least that was what happened in my case.

Developed a six pack by just losing weight &
    fat and doing compound lifting to achieve it.

• beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    Properly executed deadlifts, squats and overhead presses use your abs on every lift.
    The strongest and largest abdominal muscles are there to help support, rotate and stabilize your back/spine.
    Yoga breathing / breathing from your diaphragm and merely getting out of a chair uses your "abs".

The frequency of "ab workouts" does not matter nearly as much as cutting your body fat of you are worried about your "abs".
    It is almost certain that you are not working your abs hard enough to make a lot of difference anyway.
    It takes a long time and a lot of effort to develop muscles.
    Training them in isolation will not get you very far unless you are just trying to train for muscle endurance.
    Regressive resistance (proper deadlifts, squats, presses, etc.) will get you a lot farther a lot faster.

If you are a woman and over 20% body fat then it will not matter how any "ab workouts" you do.
    Low body fat is the key to visible abs, nothing else will make your "six-pack" (or even "four-pack") visible.

Get down to around 18% to 20% body fat and then you might start to see the results of any "ab workouts" you are doing.

Exactly why are you putting abs in quotation marks. Would you feel better if I used the entire word, abdominals? Your response goes far beyond the question I asked and assumes I am looking for a six pack, that I am not lifting, and is rather condescending.

I find it humerus that the one serious and complete response you got is the one you choose to criticize.

Anyway, my response would be, "what cqbkaju said". There is no reason to do ab workouts, you will be far better off doing heavy compounds if you want to build your abs.
  • susanp57
    Options
    It was not responsive to my question and a humerus is a bone.
  • beatua1
    beatua1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    It was not responsive to my question and a humerus is a bone.

Ah spelling I see, thank you. Should have checked my spell checker. Well done, excellent Ad hominem attack.

To your point, it was absolutely responsive to your question, but we can agree to disagree I suppose.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    wow, the most helpful response gets jumped all over...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    wow, the most helpful response gets jumped all over...

Yeah...weird...
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Looking at various ab workouts, many indicate doing then every day. This does not match up with the advice to let your muscles recover before working them again.

Recovery time can vary depending on which muscles, intensity, rest, nutition and level of lifter. There isn't a set time that works for everybody though generally speaking a smaller muscle and a lower rank of lifter can recover quicker than somebody needing more complicated muscle stimulas.

• susanp57
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »

Recovery time can vary depending on which muscles, intensity, rest, nutition and level of lifter. There isn't a set time that works for everybody though generally speaking a smaller muscle and a lower rank of lifter can recover quicker than somebody needing more complicated muscle stimulas.

Thanks