Petite Female - The 1200 Calorie Limit

Options
HealthyKatty
HealthyKatty Posts: 24 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
So, I've been searching throughout the forums and other places and I have seen some people saying they're 5ft or 5'2ft and they're petite and questioned about the 1200 calorie limit. On the other hand, I got the short end of the stick and was presented with a 4'9 body. I'm also currently 22, so I doubt I will grow anymore. I'm also currently morbidly obese and would really like to lose as much weight at the moment for the sake of my health. I have Asian friends with heights around 5'0 and they eat probably around the 1,000 calorie limit, since maintaining a small frame in Asia is very important to them.

Would eating 1,000 calories be somewhat okay to a 4'9 female?

**Edit: Your estimated BMR is: 1,556 calories/day*

Replies

• Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I would advise against such a drastic deficit unless you are under medical supervision.
  • HealthyKatty
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    I would advise against such a drastic deficit unless you are under medical supervision.

I edited my post with my BMR, which is at 1,556 calories/day. That would only be a 556 calorie deficit.
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    People less than 100 lbs lose weight at 1200 per day
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Weight loss for petite women is notoriously difficult. I'm 5' tall and I lose weight SLOW if at all (too high a deficit makes me miserable). But it's not fundamentally very different from weight loss for taller people. Try not to get frustrated. Build an exercise routine you can stick to. Re-calibrate your portion sizes, especially for pre-prepared food. The key is consistency; petite women have less wiggle room in our calorie budget so indulge mindfully.

Start slow, every step counts. <3
  • Cheery83
    Cheery83 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    At morbidly obese you will burn more maintaining your weight than a skinny person will.
    I am going to push for movment over a 1000 cal limit sure i realise moving around a mass of weight is heavy but as you shrink it will be easier to walk for half an hour than to get all you need from 1000 cal.
    Start with a 5 minutt walk today do that for a week 10 minutes more next week. Talk to a doctor if you have other health issues than weight.
  • HDBKLM
    HDBKLM Posts: 466 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    What @Nony_Mouse said. Your BMR is how many calories you'd burn if you literally did nothing but lay still in bed all day and breathe. Standing up, putzing around the house, cooking, cleaning, chewing, fidgeting ... none of those daily body movements are counted in your BMR, so your starting point for measuring a calorie deficit is much higher than that even if you don't start 'working out' as such.

Even if we all agreed 1000 calories was advisable for you, and even if your BMR were the correct starting point, a 556 calorie deficit wouldn't be so bad. That would still be a pound-a-week loss. I know most people would like to lose faster than that but this weight loss/maintenance thing is a lifelong journey for most of us, so try to think in terms of the longview and what's going to be sustainable rather than aiming for a rapid weight drop.
  • HealthyKatty
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Maxxitt wrote: »

I edited my post with my BMR, which is at 1,556 calories/day. That would only be a 556 calorie deficit.

BMR is your basal metabolic rate, what your body burns just to keep itself alive. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) will be higher than that, because you burn calories on top of that 1,556 doing 'stuff'. What that stuff is varies from person to person depending how active they are and how much deliberate exercise they do. Plug your info into this calculator, see what it says for your TDEE, you should be aiming for no more than 1000 calories below that number, and as you lose weight you will need to drop that deficit amount.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

That's actually a really helpful link and you pretty much answered all the doubts I had. My TDEE actually was around 1,900. So at 1,200, it'll be good. Thanks a lot :)
  • HealthyKatty
    Options
    I'm pretty much satisfied and will take into account everyone's opinions on here. I appreciate the honesty and will take it to heart. Thank you <3
  • bribucks
    bribucks Posts: 431 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    For petite people who are within or at the low end of the BMI chart, under 1200 may be ok. But not anyone else, and that includes you. You stated that you are obese, so eating too little will not be enough to fuel your body, not to mention a shock to your system.

You should never eat below your BMR!! This number (for you, 1556) is how much fuel your body needs just to survive, if you laid in bed all day. Eating less than that will severely deprive you and trust me, you will experience adverse side affects because you will be malnourished, especially if you eat significantly below your BMR for an extended period of time. I know you want to lose the weight fast, but you still have to do it in a manner that is healthy for your body.

You said you figured your TDEE to be around 1900. If you intake 250 cal less each day (so eating 1650) you will lose 0.5 lb per week. To lose 1 lb per week, you would have to eat 1400 - but again, this is below your BMR which I do NOT recommend. So either eat AT your BMR (1556) which would have you losing 0.68 lbs/week .... or, you need to add more exercise to burn more calories, even if it's just walking, so you can lose faster.

For reference, I am 5'3", 116 lbs, with a TDEE of 1520 and a BMR of 1270. I eat at 1300 net, so I lose about 0.5 lb/week. I also go to the gym about 3 times per week and I eat a little more on those days.

Edited to add - while eating significantly below your BMR is not generally advised, NETTING below it is perfectly fine. So, if you ate 1600 calories and burned 200 in exercise, that would be fine.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    My recommendation would be to log everything you eat normally for one week with all your activity, without making ANY CHANGES or trying to do anything differently. Then you will know how many calories you eat now. Start by reducing them by 500.