Leg workouts

Options
LKArgh
LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
I need ideas:
Used to do lots of squats and lunges, but I have realized a while ago that they both contribute to pain from arthritis on my ankle (because of old injury). I am guessing because of balance issues with this leg, something is off and cannot be corrected - I have tried barefoot with flat shoes, running shoes, chuck taylors, nothing changes. I can do squats without weight, but it ends up being more cardio than strength training.
Leg press is out, as it is one of the few exercises strictly forbidden by my dr for the same reason.
So far I have been just using the seated leg machines and while they do not cause pain, they are boring and I doubt they are that effective.
Does anyone have ideas about what else I could try? Based on my experience with squats and lunges, anything standing is out of the question.

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I know that this is a standing exercise but could you try step ups, first on a low box gradually adding weight and then moving to a higher platform?
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    Have you tried kettlebell squats? You could slowly add weight from the bodyweight squats you're currently doing. Kettlebell deadlifts?
  • gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Have you tried biking? I have had great strength increases by riding a mountain bike. You get your cardio and leg workout it all at once and it gets you outside so you don't have to see or smell the people in the gym.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    A few things to try that are usually ankle friendly in my experience:

- Wide-stance goblet squats, which minimizes ankle flexion.

- Romanian deadlifts. Basically zero ankle movement.

- Split squats. Take a longer stride than shown, so your front knee doesn't pass your ankle.

Wear flat shoes/Chucks for all of them. :+1: