Looking for Calorie Dense Healthy Foods

Gaining weight is easy, grab a pizza 6-pack of beer and sit on the couch. Losing weight is easy when I am active I lose weight while consuming 3,000-4,000 calories a day. However, maintaining my weight while remaining active and eating healthy has always been a problem because then I need to consume near 5,000 calories a day. That's a lot of carrots and broccoli people! Any recommendations of healthy calorie dense foods that can help fill that gap?

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Eat whatever you want. Just get in sufficient nutrition. You don't get addiotional health points for eating more broccoli.
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    edited September 2017
    Full fat houmous dip. Honey-roasted peanuts.

Use the carrots to make homemade carrot cake. ;)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,809 Member
    If you are eating 5000 cals a day you aren't going to find hitting adequate levels of your macros and micros at all difficult. Enjoy yourself a little!

Fat is high calorie density: nuts, avocado, cheese, oil or cream based sauces and dressings.....
    Fattier cuts of meat rather than lean.

Starchy carbs will also bump up your calories nicely.

Pizza is just a blend of fat, protein and carbs, don't see why it can't fit in a healthy diet?

If you opened your diary people could suggest higher calorie substitutions.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Start chugging carbs, grains (Farro, barley, couscous are faves of mine); full fat yogurt
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    You don't get extra credit once you've hit your macro and micro targets for the day. Have a treat. Otherwise, add more oil/butter to your cooking, avocado, full fat dairy and fatty cuts of meat, nuts, etc.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Nuts and nut butters. Olive oil.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    edited September 2017
    Depending on what you consider healthy, tacos can be a great option. Use a fattier meat, extra cheese, sour cream, etc for extra calories... and load em up however you like.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Nuts of any kind, avocados, steaks, pasta with plenty of olive oil and garlic (and maybe some shrimp or scallops--not calorie dense additions but tasty) ... any minimally processed food (stuff your great grandmother would recognize as edible and delicious) will do for "healthy."