New foods U.K. People please

Options
Just looking for things you like, more variety
Low carb, Keto, or carbs. We don't have as much choice as our U S friends!

Replies

• smh_cliff
    smh_cliff Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I had a wholemeal pitta, chicken, salad and garlic mayo tonight. Been craving a kebab and it more than hit the spot! I am quite new to this but mostly eat similar to before for main meals, it was snacks that were awful for me. Now I keep a supple of homemade soups & wholemeal pitta, fruit and skips!

The only thing I have started buying especially are Arla Protein pots which I have been having for breakfast... keep me fuller much longer than cereal (and I don't have time to be cooking eggs!)
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I have a fairly bland diet to be honest. Roast chicken breast most nights, vegetables and wholegrain rice, sweet potato or quinoa with peppers (M & S - they also do a lentils and rice mix, frozen individual portions). I get Greek Yoghurt from M & S too, they do an Authentic one which is actually nicer than Total Fage. I mix that with fruit, nuts and seeds from Asda for a nice, protein rich dessert. Asda also do these really nice Danone yoghurts called Light & Free which are under 60 calories a pot and come in quite a few flavours including coconut.

For snacks I get these Garbanzo chickpeas from Holland & Barrett - 88 calories for a 65g bag and they are really filling. Also love the Fibre One brownies you can now get from Asda. They do a lemon drizzle one too. I also snack on Propercorn popcorn and the Belvita breakfast biscuits sometimes.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,444 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My diet is colourful, tasty and delicious! I see something in a supermarket and buy it, and then figure out what to do with it: British, Mediterranean, Asian, Malay, Scandinavian, East African, Arab, eastern European, etc.. everything goes. if you happen to have an Indian/Pakistani or Arab store nearby then you can also get interesting herbs, spices and other ingredients. Or why not visit a Polish store? Honestly, from a few short stays in the US I would say we have more choice here, or rather, it's easier to get and it's super cheap!

This past week and this I'm having
    fresh mango (was on offer at Aldi) and chicken curry (probably Australian) with a homemade korma sauce and rice
    Nasi goreng with sate sauce (international shop), ketjap manis (self made) and I improved an existing standard sambal by adding more spices and garlic.
    haggis with swede and carrot mash and potatoes
    I still have a breaded fish in the freezer, cherry tomatoes, green beans, broccoli and sugar snaps. I might just toss it all in an ovendish with sweet potatoes and roast for 15-20 minutes. Then eat with feta cheese and tsatsiki (no condiment needed), or hummus.
    tonight I might cook biksemad, a Danish roast potato leftover dish: use cooked potatoes, cut into small cubes, roast in pan with streaky bacon and veggies, and maybe an egg. Eat with pickled beetroot.

The best thing is: all this cooking takes about 15-20 minutes with the exception of the curry. But I still have 3 further portions in the freezer for when I don't feel like cooking. And: for myself I spend about £100 on groceries per month. For all the cooking, for an artisan bread every weekend, tea, and all other household items I need.

If you're really running out of ideas then why not look at these food package websites like hellofresh or gousto? if you use google you find they have all their recipes on their website. Just buy the ingredients, figure out the right amounts for you by logging, cook. If you shop at Aldi or maybe Lidl you can get those expensive dishes for less than a pound per portion in many cases.
  • MandaLuvsHockey
    MandaLuvsHockey Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Butternut squash lasagna sheets from Tesco and Waitrose

I'm a Canadian living in the UK and I find it hard as a lot of recipes I find are from Canada/US so sometimes there is no substitutes. I am learning to find lower calorie ways to have things though. I love bread and potato chips so when I really need something I have the walkers baked version.

Also use a lot of quark or cottage cheese when needed
  • HeliumIsNoble
    HeliumIsNoble Posts: 1,213 Member
    Options
    Carousel ice cream cornets, which are 10 calories each.

As you may imagine, they're pretty small, but that's actually a good thing; it helps with portion control when you're scooping ice-cream out of the tub in the freezer!
  • katsheare
    katsheare Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I use Abel and Cole fruit and veg delivery for much of my fresh stuff (except right now, when I use the PYO 1/4 mile from my house!). Not necessarily keto, but loads of interesting veg options (and other groceries as well, lots of fish and meat, etc).
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    My diary's open if you want a nosey. I'm a bit of a convenience food junkie, and I work in central London so many of my lunches are from places that might be a bit harder to find in other places (my boyfriend had never heard of Leon until I pointed out the one at Stansted to him last week!), but have at it.

Current favourites...
    - ostrich steaks - Tesco or Lidl
    - Sainsburys sweet potato mash, also the potato/carrot/swede one - both lower cal (and carb) and much lower effort than home made normal mash!
    - Maggi So Tender papers for making meat really tasty without any fat in the pan. Current fave is thin sliced turkey breast steaks done with the garlic chicken paper. Both Sainsburys and Tesco normally have a good range. Last time I was in Tesco they were on two packs for £1.
    - Maggi So Juicy roasting bags - literally amazing, so easy and super tasty. I tend to use chicken thighs, and you don't have to follow what's on the pack 100%. Just chuck in what you fancy but cook for longer if you add veg to the bag.
    - Lidl Milbona flavoured Skyr pots - cheaper and tastier than Arla Skyr
    - Arla Protein pots in raspberry and papaya/passion fruit - both from a big Tesco, not the small Sainsburys by work which only has strawberry and blueberry
    - U Fit protein shakes in bottles, particularly the coffee one - I have quite a high protein target, and have this sort of thing for breakfast on the train to work with a banana or something
    - Grenade Carb Killa bars when they're on special (Grenade website, sometimes Cardiff Sports Nutrition) - high protein, low sugar DELICIOUSNESS!
    - Hippeas chick pea wotsits - part of the Boots meal deal, and at least have the benefit of more protein than popcorn! I like the smokey flavour best.