Body Fat Scales

Options
I am in the process of shifting from weight loss to maintenance mode. As part of that, I have made toning up and building muscle one of my new goals. I bought a scale that measures body fat percentage - the EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale, to be precise. I have found that it gives me a very low reading (20-21%) relative to multiple tape measure-based calculators that I have tried (26-27%). I'm curious whether anyone has compared one of these scales to other tests such as BodPod and what kind of discrepancy you found?

Sorry if asked and answered. I have done a lot of Googling and found a lot of contradictory information so appreciate any input from direct experience.

This is the scale I bought: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004L6NTHU

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    The BF scales can be off by as much as 10% gross. Completely unreliable. Lots of threads on MFP about this.
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I'm not so concerned about the accuracy of the scale in terms of absolute values. As long as it's off by the same amount every time that's fine. I'm just using it for meauring progress.

I'm just curious whether anyone has direct experience comparing it to a professional method of measurement.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I did a comparison last year to BodPod, DEXA and Navy tape measure. It was pretty close for me. Just be consistent with the time of day and amount of water in your system. I would weigh right when waking up after going to the bathroom. Water will really throw it off as it works on electrical impedance.
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Typically, they are really far off for me with the exception of my Omron. It has 4 contact points - 2 feet + 2 hands and seems to be very accurate. Every other method, including other bio-electrical impedance measurement scales and hand-held devices, has always shown a lower number than the Omron scale I use. The closest method, though, is Dexa - 0.3% lower than the scale showed on the same day.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No the scales are inconsistent with the same person and are off by different amounts each time.
    Dunk tank put me 5% higher than the bf scale but this was a one time comparison.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of shifting from weight loss to maintenance mode. As part of that, I have made toning up and building muscle one of my new goals. I bought a scale that measures body fat percentage - the EatSmart Precision GetFit Digital Body Fat Scale, to be precise. I have found that it gives me a very low reading (20-21%) relative to multiple tape measure-based calculators that I have tried (26-27%). I'm curious whether anyone has compared one of these scales to other tests such as BodPod and what kind of discrepancy you found?

Sorry if asked and answered. I have done a lot of Googling and found a lot of contradictory information so appreciate any input from direct experience.

Yes. Here's a great, thorough, research-backed read about the accuracy (or lack thereof) of BIA scales: http://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/
  • marthall
    marthall Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    BIA scales work by passing a current through the body and measuring the change, which are caused by water which is in turn a proxy for fat.

My theory is that since the current will take the shortest path (ie up one leg, and down the other) It's going to struggle to account for belly and chest fat, which is one of the bigger stores on a man. So I think that my scales also under read, and will probably do so until I've reduced enough fat that I don't have a beer belly or man boobs.

Interesting comments from @midwesterner85 about 4 contact point

Obviously the values bounce about with water retention, however I think that the overall average change and trend are more accurate than I was expecting. if I calculate my fat loss estimate via CICO vs BF% scale the numbers are actually tracking each other quite closely. your mileage may vary.

I don't have a reliable way of establishing absolute BF% but using calculations based on waist/height gives values 3-4% above the scale.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I used Omron BF508 scales (with hand and foot sensors) during my weight lose phase and they compared very well with 6 monthly BodPod scans.

Although they suffered from the expected day to day and intra-day fluctuations (hydration related more than likely) the trend over time was very good and the actual (first thing in the morning) number was believable.
    Same as your weight - the trend is important rather than individual data points.

One of my BodPod scans was very clearly erroneous so wouldn't rate their accuracy too highly.

On the other hand when I replaced the Omron scales after they stopped working I bought a set (feet sensors only) that are complete and utter rubbish. 33% BF I sincerely hope is rubbish anyway. :smile:

For most people I think progress photos and tracking measurements is more useful and accurate.
  • VeggieBarbells
    VeggieBarbells Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I'm not so concerned about the accuracy of the scale in terms of absolute values. As long as it's off by the same amount every time that's fine. I'm just using it for measuring progress.

I'm just curious whether anyone has direct experience comparing it to a professional method of measurement.

I've done Bodpod and BF scales before and they were out by 5 %, so I just stuck to one and never changed
  • All_The_Bacon
    All_The_Bacon Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    Yes. Here's a great, thorough, research-backed read about the accuracy (or lack thereof) of BIA scales: http://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/

Great information! Thank you!!
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    BIA scales are fine for progress, but not accurate. I recently had a DEXA scan and was 7% higher than the scale reading.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Aria scale here. I have no idea how accurate but at my thinnest I was at 15% and started seeing my abs. I I have put some weight/fat back on I am at 23% and have some belly to get rid of. So it seems to accurately track my additional fat as I put it on anyway.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    nowine4me wrote: »
    BIA scales are fine for progress, but not accurate. I recently had a DEXA scan and was 7% higher than the scale reading.

This is typical from what I've seen. The ones with the grips are a little more accurate as they do both lower and upper body. But, from everything I've read, all methods are subject to inaccuracy and the key thing is trend over time. Jame Krieger with his site Weightlology has an analysis of each method and pluses and minuses of each and there is not one without some drawback and inaccuracy.
  • BeccaLoves2lift
    BeccaLoves2lift Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My scale is consistent from day to day. I always weigh first thing in the morning. It does give me a higher %than my caliper. Scale says 23% and caliper says 19%, I'm probably somewhere in the middle.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,881 Member
    Options
    I second the Omron Handheld. It's not that pricey. I have been using it for years. I am pretty sure that although it might not be "perfect" when used over time it is a good measure of improvement or change. It takes your weight age height etc into the calibration.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »

Yes. Here's a great, thorough, research-backed Utterly outdated read about the accuracy (or lack thereof) of BIA scales: http://weightology.net/the-pitfalls-of-bodyfat-measurement-part-4-bioelectrical-impedance-bia/

Fixed it for you
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    My trainer uses this weird device that involves attaching pads to various areas of my body, putting my stats in and measuring it that way. I have not had it done in sometime, but his results tallied with the photo estimations by the more knowledgeable crowd on here some years ago. I have never trusted the scale method to be honest and did not trust my trainer's method until others agreed with it. I am not fussed enough to go the hydrostatic method.
  • HealthyBodySickMind
    HealthyBodySickMind Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    I used Omron BF508 scales (with hand and foot sensors) during my weight lose phase and they compared very well with 6 monthly BodPod scans.

Although they suffered from the expected day to day and intra-day fluctuations (hydration related more than likely) the trend over time was very good and the actual (first thing in the morning) number was believable.
    Same as your weight - the trend is important rather than individual data points.

One of my BodPod scans was very clearly erroneous so wouldn't rate their accuracy too highly.

On the other hand when I replaced the Omron scales after they stopped working I bought a set (feet sensors only) that are complete and utter rubbish. 33% BF I sincerely hope is rubbish anyway. :smile:

For most people I think progress photos and tracking measurements is more useful and accurate.

My Omron (HBF-510W) also has 4 hand and 4 feet sensors.

I have measured with various tape and caliper measurements over the years and did a dexa scan in June to see which was closest to the "true" value. The Omron pegged me at 24.3% bodyfat the morning of the scan, and the dexa put me at 24.4%.

Also, again, just my experience, the Omron doesn't have a lot of day to day variance when measuring the same way/time everyday.

qqld1lbuo8g5.png
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Is that your graph @HealthyBodySickMind ? I love it! Great tracking!

I may have to get an Omron. I'm not sure I trust my Aria anymore.