Started running and gaining weight

Options
I started CICO out two weeks ago. Was down 1.5lb first week. Have started running 4 miles 3 x a week and this week I've gained that 1.5lb back. Can going from sedentary to active cause a gain?

Replies

• crb426
    crb426 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Keep going. Your body is likely swelling with water weight because of the new exercise. See what happens next week. Just don't stop. :)
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    1.5lb can also easily just be a day-to-day fluctuation. Your weight will be up and down throughout your weight loss process, but at the beginning it's more noticeable because the fluctuations can be more than the weight that you have lost. Don't be put off by it, just keep at it.

This is what 6 months of daily weighing looks like from a scale perspective.

iguabgcekfr0.jpg

I feel like this is EXACTLy what my 6 month graph looks like-- including the jump about a month ago.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,104 Member
    Options
    1.5lb can also easily just be a day-to-day fluctuation. Your weight will be up and down throughout your weight loss process, but at the beginning it's more noticeable because the fluctuations can be more than the weight that you have lost. Don't be put off by it, just keep at it.

This is what 6 months of daily weighing looks like from a scale perspective.

I feel like this is EXACTLy what my 6 month graph looks like-- including the jump about a month ago.

I can attribute that particular spike to a trip to the UK where I was drinking all weekend and eating out lol

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I agree with the previous posts. It's pretty normal and not surprising.

Something that might be worth mentioning... weight gain is not the same as fat gain. Weight is what most people are emotionally tied to... seeing the number on the scale go down. Fat is what most people should be focused on... an actual change to your body. Weight is highly variable and can fluctuate significantly over short periods of time. Fat loss takes longer, and needs more consistent effort to affect.
  • KateD0707
    KateD0707 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My initial reaction as I felt disheartened was to not bother running and just lose the weight. When I have 3 stone to lose it seems crazy I am putting on the 2nd week but I now understand thanks to the explanations above.
    How long does it take to settle?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    KateD0707 wrote: »
    My initial reaction as I felt disheartened was to not bother running and just lose the weight. When I have 3 stone to lose it seems crazy I am putting on the 2nd week but I now understand thanks to the explanations above.

It varies according to person. And even after you've been running a while, increasing the mileage can put on some temporary water weight (I run 5-6 days a week and I still frequently see an increase in water weight after a long run).
  • mabearof6
    mabearof6 Posts: 684 Member
    Options

Everyone is different. For me it takes a couple weeks. It happens to me whenever I change exercise routines, or when I increase the amount of days I run. Can be frustrating at first....now I just don't weigh myself during those times.

• KateD0707
    Options
    Maybe it's best I
    Pop the scale away and just go by clothes and how I feel.
  • KateD0707
    Options
    When it eventually goes do you tend to have a whoosh effect?
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When it eventually goes do you tend to have a whoosh effect?

My personal experience when I was losing weight: yes.
  • maggibailey
    maggibailey Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Heck I don't even need to run I see that spike after a day eating within my calories but making most of them pizza! Give it time :)
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    You're only 2 weeks in, and changed both your diet and your activity level. Keep running and logging your food and exercise. The MFP system works, you have to be a little more patient and give it more time.

Do you have the Happy Scale app on your phone yet? It really helps to see how your weight loss fluctuations work. Also, I'd recommend that you not only weigh yourself once in awhile, but take body measurements. After two months or so, I saw a nice smaller number for my waist and my hips. Eventually, I had to buy new jeans. But it took time!
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You don't have to change your activity level unless you run for work as a constant daily thing. But if it's exercise. Count it as exercise. What are your stats?
  • KateD0707
    Options
    My stats are
    5ft 4
    187lbs
    GW 140

TDEE 2100
    I eat at 1400 and on run days I eat back half my Kcals.
    Is this correct?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    IMHO, I wouldn't cut calories too much while running, especially if you are training for an event - you want to make sure that you are fueling your body adequately which will help with energy etc

if you do want to lose weight, I'd probably only do .5lbs a week (so a deficit of 250cal) - so if your TDEE is 2100, then 1850
  • rmgnow
    rmgnow Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    My stats are
    5ft 4
    187lbs
    GW 140

TDEE 2100
    I eat at 1400 and on run days I eat back half my Kcals.
    Is this correct?

Don't be afraid to eat back all your calories on run days.
    Your logging has to be tight though.
    Eating back half those run calories can be aggressive, at times.

Also be sure that you have the right weight entered before you run - as you get in better shape, you burn less calories, and runs become easier

700 or so, is a good amount of calories to eat back, have some icecream :p