How are my FL people holding up?

Options

Replies

• FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Keep what you need out and handy so you aren't digging around frustrated. Have medicine in baggies and labeled by day. Organization will help tremendously so you aren't stumbling around and at risk of tripping and falling.
  • FatAFNoMore
    FatAFNoMore Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Keep what you need out and handy so you aren't digging around frustrated. Have medicine in baggies and labeled by day. Organization will help tremendously so you aren't stumbling around and at risk of tripping and falling.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    i am pretty worried because it looks like its coming in strait and i am so scared my house ( well my parents house) will be broken that or we will be hurt and our pets will be hurt
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Instead of sand bags - get some heavy duty trash bags & fill them with water & tie them off - Eastcoast Jim
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    My parents are in South FL and I think my mom, gma, brother, their three dogs and two cats are going to pack up and come stay with me. Leaving this afternoon. Hoping they don't run out of gas and get here in 24-hours. My dad is staying so he can play hero - I think that's an unwise decision. Even with this past storm they were flooded in their street for two days.
  • SoCaLi4mTheVali
    SoCaLi4mTheVali Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    my son is in Atlanta, so probably won't be as bad, but I am still worried. He is 18 and had lived in SoCal all his life until a few months ago.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    i am pretty worried because it looks like its coming in strait and i am so scared my house ( well my parents house) will be broken that or we will be hurt and our pets will be hurt
    When the worse hits, hunker down in the innermost room at the house and you should be fine.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    I'm in Vero. Each projection looking better for us. Just waiting for the turn to know for sure.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    My aunt it right in its (her?) warpath in a flimsy trailer house, so I'm praying. Hard.
  • km8907
    km8907 Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    zcb94 wrote: »
    My aunt it right in its (her?) warpath in a flimsy trailer house, so I'm praying. Hard.

She should get to a shelter.
  • ecjim
    Options
    km8907 wrote: »
    I'm in Vero. Each projection looking better for us. Just waiting for the turn to know for sure.
    We should know Sunday AM - It will be in your back yard or mine
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Well, we were all set, but my in-laws (who live with us and had been rather cavalier about the whole thing) suddenly freaked out this morning. So instead of doing actual useful things, I've been preoccupied all day with their symbolic, token efforts that do nothing, but make them feel better.
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    I'm seeing power outages already, how's it going, how are the highways if you are leaving?
  • Gaygirl2120
    Gaygirl2120 Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I'm in Fort Lauderdale & we still have power. Rain & wind is coming & going. We are all shuttered up with plenty of food & supplies.
  • LiveLoveFitFab
    LiveLoveFitFab Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Serious question. I live in the North aka, Canada. We don't have hurricanes, but I still have water, batteries and propane on hand and even a water purifier. How can people just be chilling and looking to get the essentials now. Shouldn't that have been done a few days ago? I've been watching this thing for almost a week now.
    And why aren't people leaving? Why didn't people vacate before Harvey?

I really am having a hard time to understand.
  • ecjim
    Options
    Serious question. I live in the North aka, Canada. We don't have hurricanes, but I still have water, batteries and propane on hand and even a water purifier. How can people just be chilling and looking to get the essentials now. Shouldn't that have been done a few days ago? I've been watching this thing for almost a week now.

The news broadcasts like to sensationalize things. There have been many trucks going South in Fla with supplies . The large stores Walmart, Home Depot, Rural King etc have been all getting shipments - I was at a Rural King the other day at 6 AM and they were unloading a supply of generators.
    Many people wait until the storm is approaching to get they supplies instead of stocking before hand.
    also this storm is a big bad one & is going to tear things up & folks may be panicking a bit - Eastcoast Jim
  • ecjim
    Options
    part 2 - over 5 million people evacuated - It went well - the roads were crowded - delays because of the number of cars - do the math that is at least 1.5 maybe 2 million cars - Eastcoast Jim
  • JetJaguar
    Options
    ecjim wrote: »

The news broadcasts like to sensationalize things. There have been many trucks going South in Fla with supplies . The large stores Walmart, Home Depot, Rural King etc have been all getting shipments - I was at a Rural King the other day at 6 AM and they were unloading a supply of generators.
    Many people wait until the storm is approaching to get they supplies instead of stocking before hand.
    also this storm is a big bad one & is going to tear things up & folks may be panicking a bit - Eastcoast Jim

Also, there's a huge margin of error to the predicted track. So often the news will hype up a hurricane a week away, then a week later we just get some clouds and really good surfing as it passes a few hundred miles off the coast. We get kind of jaded to all the warnings that never pan out. It's a boy who cried wolf sort of phenomenon.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Good luck all and stay safe.
  • JetJaguar
    Options
    We're all boarded up and ready to go. All that's left is to wait it out.

1buubhkg0ofb.jpg

Good luck and Godspeed, Jack in The Box antenna ball. Hope to see you on the other side. :cry: