Pleasantly shocked: I lost 16.6kg (36.5 pounds) in my first week on keto diet

Options
akagoldengirl
akagoldengirl Posts: 18 Member
edited September 2017 in Motivation and Support
I'm not even kidding...

I weighed myself 7 days ago and I was 117.4kg - 257 pounds... over DOUBLE my ideal weight. I'm only 5'2... and I'd been stuck in my problem for a few years in a high sugar super high carb diet with almost no exercise.

I've been fit often in my life so my body has muscle memory too so I know it's natural the weight would fall off quick in the first month. But this is something else.

High fat, medium protein, low carbs pls exercise and calorie control works!

What did I do?

I started walking every morning using the compound effect. So each day I would walk an extra 10 - 20 meters.. the sit on a chair look at the view and appreciate my life.

Each day I would naturally walk faster as I listened to my high intensity dance music

I started tracking my calories.

Each day I ate between 1093 and 1440 calories
75% fat medium protein and only 5% carbs

Carbs were usually quite less than 30 grams a day,

I made myself a big breakfast at 11am each day usually around 550 - 690 calories (one day was 998)

It had meat on top of salad with spinach leaves tomato etc. and lemon juice and olive oil for taste.

You can see my diary if you want to see specifics

I massage my lymph system around my neck and chin and used the acupoints behind earlobes to drain fluid.

I have a cold wash at the end of my hot shower where I immersed myself in cold water completely

But the main thing is I changed the way I thought about food. I stopped seeing it as a game. I realized I want to be in control of my results and have good consequences... and I know I have the power to do that.

I use secret boards on Pinterest and I started looking at all the hot clothes I will be buying and pinning them

And I visualized my gorgeous body in these clothes and my ideal lifestyle... this started about a week before I snapped and started eating in the spirit of health

It got so bad that 9 days ago I was doubled over in pain from all the carbs I had eaten, my digestion wasn't working hardly at all so it was sitting in my belly. It was gross.

And I just got fed up. My husband was there and for the first time I seriously asked him to do this with me. To support me and work out and stop eating junk. We would bond over food so it was a big deal to change... he knew how much I wanted to be fit again and he saw my pain so he said yes...

He isn't doing keto. But has cut out a lot of junk and doesn't try to offer or talk me into junk anymore.

Keto called to me because I always knew the current thinking of eating was screwy and always believed in full fat for health... plus Tony Robbins teaches how you eat what you want to lose. Don't cut out fat, add it in.

I got INTENSE cravings that would force me to eat and I was eating for fun.

Now when I prepare food I wipe excess food from my fingers onto paper towel instead of licking it off, like I did my entire life. No more of that.

Now I eat mostly 2 maybe 3 times a day with most of my calories in the first meal. Then second is a bit smaller and usually fattier, as the first I add in loads of protein....

When we weighed me this morning we were shocked.

I haven't felt hungry because 1 my mindset and the way I think about food is aligned with health my goals... and of course because 2 my low carb, high fat, medium protein diet fills me up for so long.

Oh yeah I'm usually not a nap person... but each day I've been sleeping heavy for 2-3 hours out cold and slept so heavy. Literally 3 hours straight!

I got massive headaches and stuff too the first 4 days... a slight one now but no big deal.

I tried to last without taking it but when it got splitting I caved and took Advil/ibuprofen and some mild sleep tablets each night to help me through the transition.

Finally I set up a definite habit

Each morning I wake up, get dressed in workout clothes minus shoes make a herbal tea. Then journal my pride and excitement plus exactly what you was about to do. Then I'd put my shoes on walk the 3 flights of stairs in our house 3 times, then go out for my walk. Then no food until 11am.

Also my husband wakes up goes down into the den and does his own workout too, separate from m. But we both have a definite step by step habit

Hope this helps!

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to say hi or follow my journey :)

Replies

• Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    you lost waterweight incomming in 3..2..1...

as water is invisible to all others and they like to carry it around :D
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    do you have any dated before and after pics? This I gotta see.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    i am on keto since april this year! i exactly know what you are talking about.

stay there if you like and enjoy
  • akagoldengirl
    Options
    I'm so vain emmydoodle I stopped leaving the hose because of my weight.. so I didn't take before pictures because I was so ashamed of how bad I got. It was bad and I didn't want anyone from my past who new me as fit and hot to see how gross I got.
  • Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    I'm so vain emmydoodle I stopped leaving the hose because of my weight.. so I didn't take before pictures because I was so ashamed of how bad I got. It was bad and I didn't want anyone from my past who new me as fit and hot to see how gross I got.

yea I feel ya
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Was this weight loss over a week or a month? The title of your thread seems to indicate a week but your OP alludes to a month.

Personally, I think if this is your correct level of weight loss over a week or even a month then you should see a doctor. Biggest Loser contestants are under medical supervision for good reason and you seem to have surpassed levels of weight loss seen on that show by people who are much heavier than you to begin with. Frankly it sounds worrying.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Lounmoun I know what you mean... it would seem that way. But in this case it all makes sense and feels right. I was over DOUBLE my ideal body weight. Your body really wants to release that fat, so it comes of quick. Plus there was water weight and the (sorry tmi) but the massive bowel movement on day 6...

We did think the scale was broken. We actually went and bought new ones immediately and they said the same thing.

It doesn't make sense though. People who are 600+ lbs don't lose that fast on vlcd.
  • akagoldengirl
    Options
    TicoCortez wrote: »
    giphy.gif

lol that's exactly what I thought at first too! Those scales be crazy! I already said, but yeah my husband went and got new scales from the supermarket down the road, 15 minutes later I weighed myself on new scales and they said the same thing.
  • BishopWankapin
    BishopWankapin Posts: 276 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Lounmoun I know what you mean... it would seem that way. But in this case it all makes sense and feels right. I was over DOUBLE my ideal body weight. Your body really wants to release that fat, so it comes of quick. Plus there was water weight and the (sorry tmi) but the massive bowel movement on day 6...

We did think the scale was broken. We actually went and bought new ones immediately and they said the same thing.

If there was something causing it to show a higher number (I'm guessing 20-30 pounds higher) when you took your starting weight, but this time it reflected your weight accurately, then all the scales in the world now showing the same number wouldn't support that kind of loss. Scales can vary drastically by floor position, water/food weight in the body, or good old fashioned glitches.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Skymnigen it's hard to understand since you're not here.

I had headaches the first 3 or 4 days. But healing reactions are common. Traditional Chinese medicin teaches them. When people begin to heal they have sick type of symptoms as the toxins release. It's not a bad thing and it's not permanent.

I'm definitely not malnourished.. I feel better than I have in years.

And Noel-57.. we thought we had broken scales!

My husband ran to the supermarket and bought the best ones they had so we could get a real reading... it the second set of scales said the exact same thing.

What toxins exactly?
  • mnardi123
    mnardi123 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You would have to have a deficit of over 127,000 calories in a week for it to be fat loss. Although I'm not judging one way or the other regarding the Keto diet, it's not good to eat so little while working out. You should at least have your dr. medically supervise you on this plan.