My weight loss journey

Options
Hello all
Long time lurker here. Brief intro, my weight was just in the overweight category. I'm 167 cms and over the years hit 71 Kgs. I was inspired to lose weight early this year and after a few hiccoughs really made an effort since April this year. My target was 63 Kgs. I currently weigh 63.3 (don't miss the 0.3!) My revised target is 62 Kgs. which puts my BMI bang in the middle of the scale. What I want to know is 62 too low? I'm 45 years old and have a sedentary lifestyle. My long term goal is to get more toned and put on some muscle to reach a final weight 64 - 65 Kgs. Does this sound like a reasonable plan? In my younger days I used to train with weight ( could bench press my body weight :'( ) Idea is to have minimal jiggly bits! What do the denizens of MFP think. Any ideas on how to go about it. My current fitness level is - the thought of exercising makes me pant!
Thanks you all.

Replies

• MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    Options
    I would love to chip in, but your numbers are making my brain a little woogy. You're saying that you currently weigh 63.3 kg and are trying to lose 1.3 kg, so that you can start gaining muscle to get to 64-65 kgs? Give how much weight naturally fluctuates, I'm not sure that trying to lose such a tiny amount of weight would be anything but an exercise in futility. Maybe just jump to the building muscle part?
  • kumardoc
    kumardoc Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I would love to chip in, but your numbers are making my brain a little woogy. You're saying that you currently weigh 63.3 kg and are trying to lose 1.3 kg, so that you can start gaining muscle to get to 64-65 kgs? Give how much weight naturally fluctuates, I'm not sure that trying to lose such a tiny amount of weight would be anything but an exercise in futility. Maybe just jump to the building muscle part?
    MegaMoose, Thanks! This is the kind of advice I'm looking for. My weight at 62 will be the lowest in 25 years! 63 was my target weight I figured if I can do 63 why not 62 and then work my way up to better fitness. My current waist is 31.5 don't want to go beyond 32 inches so hoping to tone up/bulk up with a waist of 32, weight 65 to 67. Does this sound like a rational plan. As I said my fitness level is abysmal. In my university days (loooong time ago) I did train with weights and could bench press my body weight and Squats with 2 X body weight. Sigh! That seems like such a distant memory. Would love to get back to that.