Best (not necessarily "healthy") alfredo or carbonara sauce?

Options
abbynormalartist
abbynormalartist Posts: 318 Member
I'm craving alfredo or carbonara (I'll put it on zoodles) but I don't have a great recipe and the last time I tried some jarred stuff it was nasty. Any recipe or pre-made version recommendations? Thank you!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    butter, parmesan, heavy cream, salt, pepper, garlic
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I use 1:1 ratios of heavy whipping cream and whole milk, Parmesan cheese, egg yolk as my binder and season with garlic powder and white pepper. So for my family of five (leaves lots leftovers) I use 1 pint of heavy whipping cream, 1 pint of milk, two egg yolks and about 3/4 of a 16oz can of parm. (If you like it smoother use the good stuff but my family prefers this) Pour your cream into a sauce pan and incorporate the eggs in well with a whisk. Add your milk, cheese and seasoning. Turn on a medium high flame and whisk until the sauce starts to thicken. Remove from heat just before it starts to boil. Set aside while you cook your pasta, sauce will thicken as it sits and more once it hits the pasta. This is more than enough sauce for 2lbs of pasta. The math comes out to about 640 calories for a reasonable portion. (I like mine coated in sauce but not dripping in sauce so your mileage may vary here)
  • wenrob
    wenrob Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I made this Carbonara and liked it a lot.
    http://damndelicious.net/2014/03/29/spaghetti-carbonara/