How do you all do it?

Options

Replies

• sydneypo
    sydneypo Posts: 28 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    sarjenki wrote: »
    I'm not sure if this is a problem for you, but I feel like what derails me most often is the all or nothing attitude. I have to miss my class at the gym so I might as well eat terribly to right? Or... I messed up and ate a piece of cake, so now my daily goal is ruined so I might as well eat a few doughnuts too... I am often guilty of that same thing with exercise. If I don't have time to get in three miles, instead of trying to do one or two I'm just gonna not exercise at all.
    What I should be doing after I "mess up" is move on and go back to trying to do the best I can, or don't even think of it as messing up. You'd be miserable if you never ate any of the treat foods you love. What good is being hot if you aren't happy?
    Sometimes I have a hard time fighting against that attitude but I have a lot more success when I just log it and move on, start again with a blank slate

Yes sarjenki! I use to live like that too and that's why I think I hated fitness and nutrition for so long. That extreme all or nothing attitude just left me failing constantly because I couldn't live up to my own expectations. It's all about balance! I had a a bowl of chkn/veggies and a pumpkin bar today, no regrets. :)
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As far as how I do it is very easy been maintaining for approximately one year after losing 80 lbs. Weight loss and maintenance is a mental attitude. Like anything else you have to educate yourself about the consequences and weigh those consequences against your goals.

I don't give anything up I still do the occasional Wendy's hamburger pizza and beers on the beach if I had to give those things up I could have never done what I did. And God I only wish I could do half a can of Pringles I give you credit for that much willpower.

Based on what you're saying it seems like you have some kind of issue with your blood pressure. Hopefully you're under the care of a doctor if you have issues with high blood pressure. As far as how to do it it may sound simple but you just want to do it. You're going to have good days you're going to have bad days. Learn from both and just move on. Remember this isn't a Sprint but this is a long lifetime Journey you're on.
  • Agent_Freckles
    Agent_Freckles Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I stepped on the scale about a month ago and it surprised me so badly that I committed myself to it. Haven't looked back since
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    You're alright, friend. It takes practice, patience and persistence. Not perfection.
  • DebLaBounty
    DebLaBounty Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Boar's Head has a line of low sodium lunch meat. If you can't find that brand at your grocery store, look around and read the labels.
  • zindroth
    zindroth Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    How do you all stay on track for long periods of time. I was doing good for a few days then today happened.

This may sound very cliche (I know it did for me until I wrapped my head around it), this is about the journey. Many people (often myself included) are so fixated on our end goal we put alot of pressure on ourselves. We fixate on "good" and "bad", adding more stress.

The way I have stayed on track for 55 days (and counting), is to focus only on the choices I can make today. Yesterday is done, tomorrow isn't here yet. I make the best choices I can given my surroundings and information. This is not to say I take a sloppy approach to things, or don't put some control in my day.

My fridge is full of things that I (mostly) like to eat, and that my body will accept. I whip up something from those ingredients that suits what I feel like at that meal. If we are going out for supper, then I research the menu of where we are going, and choose something that appeals to me. I log this in my day ahead of time, and then fit the rest of my day around it.

I realize people need to pack lunches for work, so when I had to do that, I simply made something that would fuel my body, and usually it was the same thing every day so I didn't have to think about it.

Good luck with your journey, and try to be gentle on yourself! :wink:
  • scarlett_k
    scarlett_k Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I just keep trying despite when I have given in to cravings or indulged a bit too much. One mishap doesn't ruin everything and to begin with I was overeating at least once a week. I have just kept at it and not been afraid of slipping up, or if I feel like giving in I would up my calories so I had a smaller or no deficit instead of just throwing away my progress.
  • clicketykeys
    clicketykeys Posts: 6,568 Member
    Options
    By being incredibly, pig-headedly stubborn! ;)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    mmapags wrote: »
    If you find the right way of eating and macro mix for you, it is not really hard. Sometimes you have to look and the compulsions or emotional issues that drive binge overeating and sort that out to progress. We all have them.

That was the truth for me. I had to change what I ate, which addressed some health issues for me, and then weight loss and maintaining became easy. If I eat foods that affect my health, I start regaining fairly quickly because I eat for energy.
  • nexangelus
    nexangelus Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I take diet breaks. That is, two weeks off every 10 - 12 weeks of "dieting" (being in deficit). It keeps me on track and it helps me to realise that maintenance is doable and the world will not come to an abrupt halt when the dieting days are over. The breaks are planned/logged (except for then I am on holiday, then there is no internet for me) and are not an excuse to over-indulge/gorge/eat stupid amounts of anything. I eat at maintenance or just below and up my carbs to above 150g.

This is what helps me. Also feeling great, more healthy, seeing the measurements of my body parts go down, fitting in clothes better and even buying the next size down all keep me on track too. As does the thought of the negatives that go with being overweight. Those, I recall and encourage myself to go forward from. Remembering how my self-esteem was low and how different I feel now and comparing those feelings.

Also, from an eating disordered standpoint (yes I have been there), maybe seeing a counsellor/therapist or joining group therapy sessions and talking about what triggers you and why and learning methods of coping and not using the eating (or not eating) and the food for comfort. Maybe finding a hobby you love, or doing stuff you enjoy that does not involve food?

Yeah, sorry this is all a bit fluffy and "emotion" based, but eating can be and is for a lot of us...
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    JerSchmare wrote: »
    As with everything in life, it becomes easier the longer you do it. That being said, I screw up frequently. " Log it and move on."
    Now-- you-- need to be careful with your salt intake apparently. Buy low sodium chips and lunch meat.

Sodium doesn't cause high blood pressure. That's a really bad rumor that is deeply ingrained.

Actually it can make it worse. If your doctor tells you to eat low sodium do it. Many people have been able to reduce or eliminate their use of high blood pressure meds through reducing sodium in their diets.

To tell someone on a doctor ordered diet to ignore it is a horrible thing to do.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @JerSchmare
    Not a rumor, my friend.
    Salt follows water. Blood volume increases- BP increases.
  • rcreynol3090
    rcreynol3090 Posts: 174 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    After my bypass surgery 2 months ago, I had to make changes to my eating habits and start exercising. I do not call it a diet, but a lifestyle change, because I have no other viable options. I am fortunate that my wife is fully committed to joining this journey to a healthier life.

We have tracked our food intake for almost a month now, and plan for instances where we don't have full control, like a work lunch out. Yesterday I attended an event that I knew from past experience would have several teams cooking bbq, tacos, and similar foods, and eggs, bacon, biscuits & sausage gravy for breakfast. I planned going in that I would look for grilled chicken as the main part of my lunch. Guess what?... No grilled chicken. So I made a choice, ate it and logged it as best as I could estimate. Had a yogurt protein shake for supper. Lot of sodium in everything at breakfast and lunch, so I knew my daily intake would be at least doubled, if not tripled, from normal (I try to stay below 1,000 mg/day). Sure enough, scales said 0.6 lb gain this morning. Back on track today.

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    As with everything in life, it becomes easier the longer you do it. That being said, I screw up frequently. " Log it and move on."
    Now-- you-- need to be careful with your salt intake apparently. Buy low sodium chips and lunch meat.

Sodium doesn't cause high blood pressure. That's a really bad rumor that is deeply ingrained.

Actually it can make it worse. If your doctor tells you to eat low sodium do it. Many people have been able to reduce or eliminate their use of high blood pressure meds through reducing sodium in their diets.

To tell someone on a doctor ordered diet to ignore it is a horrible thing to do.

New research says otherwise.

Plus, doctors aren't really knowledgeable on that. They just parrot what they were taught.

I went to a doctor in the past 2 years that was explaining to me about set-point theory. Hahaha. What a dork. Couldn't get out of his office fast enough.

Look, the sodium thing is absolutely indoctrinated into us. But, that doesn't mean that's what causes hypertension.

There is no evidence that sodium causes hypertension. There is evidence that a person with hypertension can reduce it if they reduce their sodium intake.

I'm going to trust doctors with medical degrees. Multiple doctors. Over one doctor who has produced a study that nobody outside of his organization has been able to replicate and random people on the internet.
  • jlhflex
    jlhflex Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    For me, its come with experience. Honestly Ive done it so long, and know my body so well that I dont need to keep track of it but I do because it keeps me honest with myself. Take it in strides, go for small weekly goals. At first you are not going to see the results. You may not feel them right away either but that next week you may start to feel better, motivation to keep going. Then the week after you may see a physical change, more motivation. Keep goals small. Hopefully this make sense, Im a bit sleepy....
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I did better once I stopped telling myself I couldn't have certain foods. There were still things I couldn't bring into the house in anything other than single servings (that would be you, ice cream), but it helped me break the cycle of feeling like a failure if I knew I could have that single serving and still be within my goals (or fairly close to it) and still make progress. Break the cycle of guilt and beating yourself up. Don't throw out the whole day if you've gone over your planned lunch, just refocus for supper.
  • ClovisMan
    ClovisMan Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    How do you all stay on track for long periods of time. I was doing good for a few days then today happened. 2 sandwiches on white bread with processed lunch meat processed cheese and mayo. Then half a bag of crispers and half a tube of pringles. Now my bp is up and making my head screwy.

It happens every time i have a few good days and my bp comes down just a few points and i start to feel better then i do days like today.

How do you all keep on track. Please no smart remarks I know I messed up just looking for advice to not make it happen again.

I haven't read this whole thread yet, but will go back and do so as soon as I finish this entry.

Simply put, just don't have the bad stuff in your house. Mayonnaise a problem? Don't keep it around. Salami? Olive loaf? Make sure they aren't available. Etc. Make sure anything you keep for snacks is good stuff. Maybe a few almonds, mix a smoothie, etc.