Probiotics, vitamins, and anxiety.

Options
My doctor wants me to take probiotics. I've been having stomach issues and lots of gas (burping or trapped gas.)

I did have food poisoning really bad a year ago and ice has these stomach issues doe awhile, I wonder if they are linked.

I am cutting out sugar and artificial sugars as well as processed foods.

I also have had anxiety and panic attacks for a little over a month. My obgyn thinks it's weight related, so I'm focusing on nutrition and weight loss. I also started magnesium and zinc, she has a list of other stuff she wants me to take, but taking pills is a trigger for my anxiety do ice started slow. These other vitamins include vitamin d and something called iodoral.

Here's the thing. Probiotics freak men out, but I really want to get better. Do they cause side effects? What are the best kinds? Shoukdbi take at a certain time or with food? Did they work for you?

Also, does anyone else take iodoral?

Any other tips or suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

Replies

• kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Why are you afraid of probiotics?
  • k_braddock
    k_braddock Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Probiotics help keep your gut bacteria in balance. Iodoral is Iodine and Potassium iodide . Iodine is important for thyroid, breast and overall health. I don't take Iodoral, I use liquid Iodine drops. Neither are anything to be afraid of taking.
    Google probiotics and you'll find a wide range to choose from on price and strength. I like Acidophilus, but I usually only take it when I'm on antibiotics. If you're using it to heal your gut, you may need something with more active cultures.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,998 Member
    Options
    Do you like yogurt?
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

I have anxiety, taking something new (especially pills) triggers it. I don know a whole lot about probiotics, afraid it will upset the stomach, because its sensitive. Lol
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Have you seen a gastroenterologist?
  • Desifreckle
    edited September 2017
    Options

Just my gp, going to ask for a reccomendation to one Thursday.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options

Good idea. It's always good to have health concerns checked up on.
  • Desifreckle
    Options

Good idea. It's always good to have health concerns checked up on.

Trust me I do it too often. Lol
    9694851 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Eat the yogurt, you'll be get some probiotics that way. I use to take them. No side effects for me.
  • clkl
    clkl Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Maybe you could try drinking Kombucha... you can brew it at home, it's a nice hobby and that way you could have complete control and knowledge about what you're putting in your body.
  • omerfkhan
    omerfkhan Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    clkl wrote: »
    Maybe you could try drinking Kombucha... you can brew it at home, it's a nice hobby and that way you could have complete control and knowledge about what you're putting in your body.

True kombucha or milk Kefir works best
  • FutureDVM2020
    FutureDVM2020 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »

I have anxiety, taking something new (especially pills) triggers it. I don know a whole lot about probiotics, afraid it will upset the stomach, because its sensitive. Lol

There have been some studies also linking gut health to mental health. There's also links between obesity and changes in gut flora. I think most people can benefit from probiotics. For these reasons, I just started taking them and have had no side effects, and the people I know who take them as well have no side effects.
    They help to restore and maintain a healthy gut flora. This helps you fight off any invading bugs such as bacteria or viruses and help with digestion. If you had a bad case of food poisoning and recently developed GI disturbances it is possible that your body hasn't been able to fully restore the proper balance. Nothing to be scared of, they may really help you in several aspects!! Good luck with everything!!