Diabetic Tips

I was recently told I am a diabetic and I can't have fruit or whole grain, I need to cut down on my carbs and colestral. I have no idea what I can eat, am I only limited to meat and veggies? If anyone has recipes or meal ideas or even a good website please let me know thank u. I don't know if I can give up pasta.

Replies

• JJS1979
    JJS1979 Posts: 177 Member
    I would sit with you doctor or set up an appointment with a diabetic nutritionist to get a meal plan. Also, I know MFP has a lot of topic specific forums, you should search to see if they have one for people with Diabetes. Goodluck!
  • xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    For the diabetic diet, it's preferred to get any carbs from sources that are as unprocessed as possible (like fruits and whole grains, since it takes your body longer to process them and helps prevent huge blood sugar spikes). If you're already checking your blood sugar, you can use those numbers in conjunction with carb counting to figure out your insulin resistance (basically how much a carb will raise your overall blood sugar levels).
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    This explains a bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ

The book Dr Bernstein's Diabetes Solution can help whether you are T1D or T2D. This is an introductory video of his:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VaNJO7KMgg
  • gwenparmenter
    gwenparmenter Posts: 12 Member
    Arbonne has a nutrition program that is low glycemic. Fresh veggies, good carbs (brown rice, sweet potatoes), etc.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    I am now in remission from type 2 diabetes after significant weight loss. Management of diabetes is not about forbidden foods. It's about balancing the timing of your meals and balancing each meal by having a variety of macros at every meal.

Coconut oil does not cure diabetes.

The ADA site linked above is the best place to start.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    omerfkhan wrote: »
    I was recently told I am a diabetic and I can't have fruit or whole grain, I need to cut down on my carbs and colestral. I have no idea what I can eat, am I only limited to meat and veggies? If anyone has recipes or meal ideas or even a good website please let me know thank u. I don't know if I can give up pasta.

Only thing you have to do is drink one table spoon of coconut oil twice daily. It will cite diabetes

My mother is fine now after using coconut oil

You can search about it on Google

Dangerous advice, you don't even know what type of diabetes the poster has.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    A doctor diagnosed you with diabetes and the only advice given was "don't eat fruit or whole grains"?? Look for another doctor. Ask for a referral to an endocrinologist and dietician. You need more information.

http://www.diabetes.org/
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Funny how doctors must be so rushed. Not even advise on seeing a dietitian.
  • ZoneFive
    ZoneFive Posts: 570 Member
    omerfkhan wrote: »

Only thing you have to do is drink one table spoon of coconut oil twice daily. It will cite diabetes

My mother is fine now after using coconut oil

You can search about it on Google

This is genuinely dangerous advice. Coconut oil does not cure or put in remission diabetes. (Not sure what "cite" means here.)
  • omerfkhan
    omerfkhan Posts: 43 Member
    Cure was changed by auto spell to cites

Anyways you all are right it's a dangerous advice

I am sorry for that