How to make exercise a habit?

Options
13»

Replies

• hydechildcare
    hydechildcare Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I hate missing my shows (we can't record them) so I bought a treadmill 3 weeks ago. Since then I have put in 30 minutes 3-4 times a week. I meet up with some friends and walk with them 1 day a week. I have found sitting at work all day makes me not want to get my evening walk in so now I get up and walk a few laps around the office between phone calls and emails. I have added in body weight exercise during the day. Squats, lunges, crutches, and push ups. If I stay active during the day I am more likely to come home do cardio, clean the house, and sometimes get some yoga in.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    I got started when a medical condition had my doctor order me to stay off my leg as much as possible. (Cellulitus led to lymphedema. The leg wasn't healing because they were still trying to find the right antibiotic. And I was told that walking could further heat an already overheated—due to infection—leg and slow down the healing even more.) So... reverse psychology. The more I was restricted from walking, the more I wanted to get off my kitten and move. And by the time the vascular surgeon cleared me, I was ready and rarin'.

I started with a 25-minute daily walk. Then I realized that I had lost enough to use the glider in my basement safely. And I started slowly increasing the time of my walks.

I discovered the MFP forums around January and started reading and learning. Stuff like 'strength training isn't just another exercise you can do, but something that can help you preserve muscle'.

And I started noticing a few things little by little:
    • I deal with stress and minor anxiety issues. In the past, eating to numb the emotions was one my unhealthy coping strategies. Since I've started exercising, I haven't had any serious bouts with either.
    • TOM has gone from severe cramping and stomach issues to almost no side issues. I find I want more salt and carbs then than the rest of the month, but it's more of an 'I feel like I could go for a little more popcorn or a bigger baked potato' than going through an entire 2.5-quart pot of matzo ball soup in a day or 3-4 loaves of naan with garlic butter. And it's more of a want than a craving.
    • My walking speed has improved.
    • In a year, my blood pressure has gone from 130/90 to 110/80
    • It seems that I have deltoids. And they're kinda visible.

• shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Things just get to the point where the benefits of doing the thing outweigh the negatives in your own life. Now it's hard for met o imagine missing one of my exercise sessions, because that means my diet will need to be more restrictive, I won't have as much energy, I won't be progressing towards my fitness goals, etc etc.

I do believe the key to sustainability is making things stuff you enjoy that don't feel like a chore or torture. What that is can be very personal to each person.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Did you miss the part where exercising gives you more calories to eat???

That was the hook for me, and I think this point is not made often enough. I effectively make up my deficit (when I'm losing) with exercise, and eat at approximately my maintenance level.
  • lahcjh
    lahcjh Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Honestly, the want to not be gross or fat or lumpy should be the motivation enough. I am so sick and tired of not being happy in the mirror. Breathing hard. Not wearing skinny hot dresses. Guilt after eating bad or being lazy. You got to hate it and be done with it. If you can hate the way you look and hate your health, yet be lazy and not get off the couch... Then you are not tired of it yet. You are not yet ready to change. You aren't unhappy with your situation enough. That alone is the motivation.
  • Aplant77
    Aplant77 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Some awesome advice here! I'll add that having an accountability partner really helps. For me it's my sister who lives 1500 miles away. Every night before bed I text her that I'll be getting up and doing this work out or that work out. Just knowing that I promised her that I would be getting my butt out of bed and doing a work out forces me to get my butt out of bed. Because in the morning, I text her and tell her that I crushed that work out. If you have a friend to meet you, even better! But even someone that you can't lie to and talk to everyday will help.
  • GemstoneofHeart
    GemstoneofHeart Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I know this seems so over simplified but you just have to do it. Over and over again. You can't fall into a new habit without doing it all the time. So exercise and don't make excuses.
  • Alpha12
    Alpha12 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Sam29a wrote: »

How do I get from couch potato - literally, I probably walk 500 steps a day - if that, to at least somewhat active?

If you only walk about 500 steps a day, try adding 50-100 extra steps each day. Before you know it, you'll be off the couch and enjoying challenging yourself to see how far you can go.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    It can take longer than 3 weeks. Depending on the person maybe it will take 6 months. I agree with @AnnPT77 . Appointment based workouts are great at helping you credit the habit. Maybe start with 2-3x week and just walk the other days. A more reasonable frequency helps you stay with it better.
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Remove emotion from the activity and do it like you're being paid to do it. There's been plenty of times I've worked out and not liked it but I knew it was necessary for me to reach my goals. Don't think about things you need to do in future tense to reach a goal. You'll create anxiety and likely reason yourself out of doing it.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    1. Find something you love doing
    2. Ease your way into doing it in manageable steps
    3. Commit to doing those manageable steps for 2-3 months
    4. If you are a lazy type like I am, remove as many impediments to performing those steps as possible

Example: I know I like strength training, but have struggled to find a way of doing it that's just right for me and that I can do with consistency. I've recently found out a way of training from another MFP member that's just perfect.

In the past, I've struggled with making it to the gym. I got around that by getting home equipment. I got around difficulties with performing certain strength exercises by getting some better equipment.

If, after three or four weeks you're still struggling? What you're doing isn't working for you. Try another activity.