Can somebody tell me what the kitchen sink is used fot

Options
_pi3_
_pi3_ Posts: 2,311 Member
edited September 2017 in Chit-Chat
For putting dirty dishes in or no?

Bf has been telling to put all the dishes in the dishwasher, even before you're ready to run it

I put dishes in the sink til I'm ready to run the dishwasher

Replies

• livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    The sink is for washing and rinsing/draining what ever doesn't go in the dishwasher
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Dishes go straight in the dishwasher and wait in there until it's full and ready to go on. Seems a waste of time to put them in the sink then move them to the dishwasher once the sink is piled up. Also, we live in the countryside, so if you leave dirty dishes in the sink you are going to end up with cockroaches and lines of ants. Oh and depending on what you had in them, they smell bad!
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I rinse dishes and leave them in the sink usually until I have a few...then hand wash, no dishwasher for me
  • LittleLionHeart1
    LittleLionHeart1 Posts: 3,655 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Sink is to wash off the plate. Plate goes into the dishwasher. Start dishwasher, when its full. We don't like the sink full of dirty dishes.
  • _pi3_
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just think it makes more sense to let them soak in the sink before you put them in but I guess I'm the dummy
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    We're in the minority with you, OP. We let them pile up in the sink, then load them into the dishwasher all at once.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Dishes go straight in the dishwasher and wait in there until it's full and ready to go on. Seems a waste of time to put them in the sink then move them to the dishwasher once the sink is piled up. Also, we live in the countryside, so if you leave dirty dishes in the sink you are going to end up with cockroaches and lines of ants. Oh and depending on what you had in them, they smell bad!
    Hahaha! If you're Asian, the dishwasher is the "drying rack" for hand washed dishes!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    The Kitchen Sink is characterized by great realism in the depiction of drab or sordid subjects.
  • getittogether5107
    Options
    "Pre-rinsing at the sink (and washing dishes by hand, for that matter) seriously wastes water and energy. ... But even then, you should let your dishwasher do the heavy-lifting, so you don't waste water and energy. "Simply load them in the dishwasher and run a 'rinse only' cycle," says Forte. (who ever that guy is)
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    My sink is used too much for washing food from the garden to have it filled with dirty dishes. Dishes are either hand washed or put in the dishwasher, depending on how many there are.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Unless trying to be quiet for others the dishes and all meal prep is cleaned or placed in the dishwasher at the end of the meal. The sink is not a storage container for dirty dishes. The fork, spoons and knives must also be grouped
    in like groups. Knives face down and forks & spoons face up per manufacturer recommendation to prevent nesting. And the toilet paper must alway feed over the top. So glad you asked!
  • LauraInTheWater
    LauraInTheWater Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Sink is for piling up the dishes until you are finally ready to empty the dishwasher and start it again. Lol.

My mom would die if she read that.
  • tmoneyag99
    tmoneyag99 Posts: 480 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options

Bf has been telling to put all the dishes in the dishwasher, even before you're ready to run it

Nerd answer here.

My father and his family installed the first ever dishwashers for people and had to go through training so he could train users. The dish washer is primarily for sanitization. The water temperatures can get to a level and for a length of time that most people can’t handle. The detergent is also a lot stronger.

You will get MUCH MUCH more longevity out of your dishwasher if you will remove the large debris and grease from your dishes before placing them in the wash. The filter will get clogged and nasty if you don’t. When my dad would repair dishwashers one of my jobs was to clean the filter. It was usually the main thing that needed to happen. Grease and food debris gathers on it and your dishwasher gets clogged and the next thing you know is that little pieces of food debris is left on your dishes after washing them. GROSS.

For a while in the 90s we had the nice high powered dish washers that would wash the debris off well and efficiently. However, do to water and energy savings efforts of modern times the dishwasher has now gone back to it’s old “sanitizer only” status.

So take the time to rinse your dishes and use a little cheap dish soap to get the grease off. Plus frankly it’s just gross and unsanitary to let food sit around waiting to go into the dishwasher.

Side note: in response to the person's concern about water usage. Just plug the sink, put in soap and use just enough water to rinse your dishes and get the crud off of them. You don't have to rinse your dishes in running water. Plus, the debris comes of much easier if they are allowed to soak for 5-10 minutes. If you think this method uses more energy and water than the "rinse only" cycle on the dishwasher I'm going to have to strongly disagree.
  • _pi3_
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

Nerd answer here.

My father and his family installed the first ever dishwashers for people and had to go through training so he could train users. The dish washer is primarily for sanitization. The water temperatures can get to a level and for a length of time that most people can’t handle. The detergent is also a lot stronger.

You will get MUCH MUCH more longevity out of your dishwasher if you will remove the large debris and grease from your dishes before placing them in the wash. The filter will get clogged and nasty if you don’t. When my dad would repair dishwashers one of my jobs was to clean the filter. It was usually the main thing that needed to happen. Grease and food debris gathers on it and your dishwasher gets clogged and the next thing you know is that little pieces of food debris is left on your dishes after washing them. GROSS.

For a while in the 90s we had the nice high powered dish washers that would wash the debris off well and efficiently. However, do to water and energy savings efforts of modern times the dishwasher has now gone back to it’s old “sanitizer only” status.

So take the time to rinse your dishes and use a little cheap dish soap to get the grease off. Plus frankly it’s just gross and unsanitary to let food sit around waiting to go into the dishwasher.

Side note: in response to the person's concern about water usage. Just plug the sink, put in soap and use just enough water to rinse your dishes and get the crud off of them. You don't have to rinse your dishes in running water. Plus, the debris comes of much easier if they are allowed to soak for 5-10 minutes. If you think this method uses more energy and water than the "rinse only" cycle on the dishwasher I'm going to have to strongly disagree.

I let them sit in the sink. Sometimes we wash our hands in the kitchen so the water and soap over a few hours helps take the debris off. We also have a garbage disposal. So idk

I already know about the debris thing. I guess I'm gross
  • Caporegiem
    Caporegiem Posts: 4,297 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    SLLeask wrote: »
    Hahaha! If you're Asian, the dishwasher is the "drying rack" for hand washed dishes!

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

All this time I've been laying them on a dishtowel to the side until I was ready to dry them.

giphy.gif
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    tmoneyag99 wrote: »

Nerd answer here.

vdyd1s70pq3g.png
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options

I use it to piss in when the bathroom is occupied.