Calve cramps

Options
OMG being woken every nite, my calves are like rocks and so painful, only doing 2/3 sessions running pans some weights.. they are good all day just in the middle of the night..... any suggestions? Thanks peeps

Replies

• xvolution
    xvolution Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Try drinking more water before going to bed. Muscles cramp due to overheating and most of the time that's caused by a lack of water/electrolyte imbalance.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I was thinking the same as xvolution. You might try drinking more water about a 1-2 hours before bed, so you don't get up in the middle of the night.
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Options
    Also consider stretching/rolling/massaging during the day (even though they don't seem to bother you then).
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Cramping is common if low on magnesium or potassium. If you did a long workout session in the heat, that could do it - electrolyte tablets (or sports drinks/most for-workout-marketed snacks) will help if that's the case.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    stretch, foam roll if you have one; magnesium can help at times (I try to not take it too often); make sure you are well-hydrated
  • tinajlee
    tinajlee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks peeps
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    According to a few doctors I know, they said it's a sign of fatigue which obviously can be remedied with rest, hydration, and better programing.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Buy a magnesium oil and spray on your legs each night. That's what helped me.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Options
    One potassium pill a day makes a huge difference for me. I figure I'm probably just missing my optimal potassium intake in my diet.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Water, magnesium, potassium, sodium. Increasing any one or more of these may help. Personally, I've increased my water intake, added a magnesium supplement, try to eat a banana at least a couple times a week, and no longer avoid sodium like the plague (I just drink extra water to avoid bloating). I haven't had a calf cramp (charley horse) in months, since making those changes.

If you do wake up in the middle of the night with one, try taking a magnesium supplement with a big glass of water. I did that a few times before I made those changes permanently, and each time my leg was SO much less sore the next morning and throughout the day. So magnesium helps prevent, and also alleviate the aftermath, of cramps like that.
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    yep, magnesium and potassium, works immediately.
  • Rincewind_1965
    Rincewind_1965 Posts: 639 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.org/symptoms/night-leg-cramps/basics/causes/sym-20050813

To find out which of the possible causes is correct for you, see a physician soon.
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    CALL A VET!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    It's usually electrolyte imbalance and it can take some trial and error as the imbalance is different for everyone, obviously depending on what your imbalance is. For some it's potassium or magnesium, for others it might be sodium or calcium. Sometimes it's too much plain water with no electrolytes. If you want to see if your diet includes enough electrolytes and nutrients that MFP does not track, try entering a week or so of data here --> https://www.supertracker.usda.gov/ to see if you are lacking in some of those minerals. It is based on minimum and daily requirements. After you have logged all your food then you use the "reports", play around over there and it can be another useful tool for you. Have fun!