Medication induced hunger?

sissiluv
sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
I feel like I'm starving all the time. My stomach cramps and feels empty continuously unless I gorge myself into submission-something I absolutely do NOT want to do.
My psychiatrist thinks this is because of my medication, abilify to be specific and is therefore something that's largely out of my control.

I've tried drinking more water (up to ten glasses a day+), chewing gum, sucking on mints and adding more protein. Sometimes I'll munch on something like celery and then sometimes I'll just give up and eat.
Nothing works. Nothing fills the gap, nothing distracts.

I've just finished eating a bowl of Special K Protein Plus cereal, crackers and sausage and beet greens adding up to 365 calories and I'm sucking down water like it's going out of style. My stomach is STILL GROWLING. Even exercise doesn't cut the trick anymore. I did my day 2 of C25K week 4 earlier and came back into the house absolutely famished.

I've gained a pound already by my measurements because of giving up and eating more than I need to. I don't want to gain more.

(I won't even go by my scale anymore, in an unrelated note. The heat has made me gain five pounds of water weight.)

Does anyone have experience with this? What can I do? This is so disheartening it isn't funny.

Thank you for your time.

P.S. For those that go into my diary, I know that I'm high carb. It's all we have in the house at the moment and unfortunately we can't really afford to buy more food right now. I'm buying protein bars and using whey protein powder when I feel comfortable, but I don't have much left and I'd prefer to save it.

Replies

• sissiluv
    sissiluv Posts: 2,205 Member
    Anyone?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Can I ask you what you are taking?
  • ldrosophila
    oops sorry see you are taking abilify
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    How long have you been on Abilify? I am also on it, and in the beginning noticed increased hunger but I stuck it out (it was a last option after a dizzying string of medications tried before it) and after I'd say 3-4 months the hunger pangs diminished. I'm still on it 4 years later and have lost 51lb so far so I'm confident that it can be done. I know the med-go-round well, I hope you can find what works on all levels for your MH and your life.

ETA: I didn't start trying to lose weight (this time) until Feb. 21 - it hasn't taken me this whole time to lose or anything :)
  • freddi11e
    freddi11e Posts: 317 Member
    So I don't know anything about the meds you're on... so I googled it.... and it says that change in appetite is a rare side effect., but you could potentially lose your appetite and lose weight or over eat.

You know, I was taking some hormone pills last week and it said weight gain was a side effect... I think it had the placebo effect on me becaue I over ate a bunch of sweets (and justifying it with the hormone pills lol)

I would suggest asking your doctor about it. Maybe they can put you on a different kind of med. ... wish I could be more help :/
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    I should also ask, how is your psychiatrist using the Abilify for you? Straight up antipsychotic, or as an adjunct to mood stabilizers or antidepressant medications, for example? I ask because depending on what you're using it for there may be other ways to achieve the desired result. I had the BEST situation mood-wise when using Geodon as my main AP - however it made me so sleepy I actually fell asleep at the wheel of my car once - got off it right quick after that! The Abilify works OK, not as well for mood stabilization for me but in combination with my lithium and a booster of Wellbutrin XL I'm doing alright now.
  • I know what Abilify does, but I've never taken it. It could be a side affect, and if it's really bothering you, talk with your healthcare professional about it.

Only other time I've seen major increase of appetite is pregnancy or hormone pills (for whatever the reason).

Rule out what you know is not the problem (in this case, I would assume pregnancy), and really caulk it up to the meds being the issue. Maybe there is something else they can put you on, if the side effects are too much.
  • ldrosophila
    Abilify is newer, so I dont have it in my food/med book, but as an antipsychotic weight gain and increased appetite can be a side effect. Did you talk to your doc about prescribing you a different med? How long have you been taking the medication.

I'm a little upset about your physician's mindset that this is acceptable. Weight gain and that out of control feeling will just make your treatment more difficult and put you into a negative space.

If I'm correct it seems what is satisfying your craving is carbs, correct? Have you had any recent blood sugar draws? There was an increase in 17.6% of blood sugar compared to the placebo, so that might be something worth having checked.

I wouldnt worry too much with a pound...could be natural fluctuations and some meds can hold onto water. If this isnt an option you really have to dig down deep and get yourself away from food after you eat. Keep drinking your water and eating your vegetables. Start finding replacements for your sweet tooth you want filling and mentally satisfying...so diet soda, diet pudding, diet jello, sugar free candies, sugar free whip cream, frozen yogurt, baked chips, beef jerky, fruit, vegetables. Anything that gives you that feeling of satisfaction tricks your brain but doesnt add calories or a lot of calories.
  • ChelleyCredible
    ChelleyCredible Posts: 63 Member
    Make sure you don't take Remeron either. Increases your hunger and you never really feel full either.