Need advice/ Need help on starting out

Options
I need help deciphering what I should do. I am 6'5, 390 lbs and want to get to a goal of around 260lbs. I belong to a gym, but don't go due to being lazy. I want to know if I should start out with just counting calories and incorporate some walking around the block for starters, or should I skip the walking and do weights at the gym followed by some cardio? Also, should I set my weekly weight loss goal at 2 lbs, 1.5 lbs or 1lb a week? I appreciate your input and advice. Thank you!

Replies

• gwenparmenter
    gwenparmenter Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Any kind of exercise will help but it's going to be more in what you eat. Lots of fresh veggies, minimal sugar, lean protein. That in conjunction with working out (even if just walking around for 30-45 mins) will have a big impact on your weight loss journey. Good Luck!!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    You just have to do something. But yes, it's very smart to not just hop on some unnecessary action and burn out.

Exercise burns some calories, and it's good for you, but you don't have to exercise to lose weight. The most effective exercise is the one you actually do, consistently.

Set your weekly weight loss goal to 2 pounds per week, and reduce it after you've lost some weight, so that the weekly weight loss rate stays as close to 1% of your total body weight as possible.

Use your food diary and log everything you eat/drink (that has calories). A calorie deficit - which is built into the calorie goal MFP gave you - is all you need to lose weight, but you also have to be consistent and keep at it for a long time, so don't try to change too many things at once and/or without a well thought through reason.