Hyperthyroidism and gaining weight

Options
marshageroli
marshageroli Posts: 41 Member
edited September 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
I'm a 29 year old female and weigh 142 lbs at 5'3". I am also exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. I have been eating at maintenance for the past 3 months which is a little over 1700 cals. I also slow-run (4.5 speed on treadmill) 5 days a week for 45 mins/day without eating back my exercise calories. A month ago I stopped losing weight and started gaining so I cut calories to 1400 and I have been at maintenance for two weeks. I suspected I might have a thyroid issue since I was hypo when I was pregnant. they tested my levels right after birth and they were fine. I ended up getting tested last week and they said I have hyper now instead of hypo, which I thought with hyper you were supposed to lose weight, not gain. Anyway, I'm talking to an endocrinologist soon to figure out medication, but in the meantime I'm exhausted, starving, and feeling like throwing in the towel. At 1400 calories I'm maintaining but when I up it I start gaining again. Will getting on medication slow my metabolism down more? If so, there is no way I can continue with such a low calorie count. I've worked so hard to lose the 38lbs ive lost so far and I don't want to go back ): any advice would be deeply appreciated!

Replies

• xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Stop trying to drop to such a low calorie intake whilst breastfeeding! Do you know how many nutrients you have to give to the baby and save for yourself. I would immediately increase your calories to 500 over maintenance which would be 2300 in your case. Please eat more atleast for your babies sake, and read this: https://www.babycenter.com/0_diet-for-a-healthy-breastfeeding-mom_3565.bc
  • marshageroli
    Options
    Does that mean I'm doomed to gain weight until my baby is not breastfeeding anymore?
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    The problem is with such a little amount of calories your body is going into store mode and that will make you gain weight. You definitely need to up your caloric intake to compensate what the baby is taking. You can certainly loose weight while breastfeeding but it may take a little bit of tweaking to get it. Feel free to add me if you ever feel like talking for more support.. I'm a momma of 3.

No, your body does not store calories as fat when you are eating at a deficit. I

@marshageroli Are you logging 7 days a week using a food scale? Do you log everything you eat, including condiments like ketchup/mayo and drinks?

When you say gain weight, how much weight are we talking? Are you tracking your weight and noticing an upward trend?
  • ugofatcat
    Options
    Also @marshageroli can you please open your food journal?
  • marshageroli
    Options
    I measure everything to the gram on my food scale except individual packaged foods, but I figured for those if they are a little off, my exercise calories will make up the difference. I don't put anything in my mouth without recording first, so I don't forget later. I'm a little obsessive when it comes to tracking. My weight was 138 two weeks ago and it has been fluctuating up and down to 142 now, so it has been steadily going up. I'm not sure how to open my food journal.....
  • ugofatcat
    Options
    Go to settings, then diary settings. Then scroll down to the bottom where it says "Diary Sharing" and select make your diary public.
  • ugofatcat
    Options
    So has your weight been going between 138-142, or are you consistently weighing at 142?

Do you weigh yourself at the same time of day, ideally first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom before eating? Are you wearing the same clothes?
  • Old_Cat_Lady
    Old_Cat_Lady Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    Breastfeeding requires an extra 500 calories daily. There is an entry for that. Don't starve yourself or your body will "rebel". And.. that baby comes first.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    I'm a 29 year old female and weigh 142 lbs at 5'3". I am also exclusively breastfeeding my 4 month old baby. I have been eating at maintenance for the past 3 months which is a little over 1700 cals. I also slow-run (4.5 speed on treadmill) 5 days a week for 45 mins/day without eating back my exercise calories. A month ago I stopped losing weight and started gaining so I cut calories to 1400 and I have been at maintenance for two weeks. I suspected I might have a thyroid issue since I was hypo when I was pregnant. they tested my levels right after birth and they were fine. I ended up getting tested last week and they said I have hyper now instead of hypo, which I thought with hyper you were supposed to lose weight, not gain. Anyway, I'm talking to an endocrinologist soon to figure out medication, but in the meantime I'm exhausted, starving, and feeling like throwing in the towel. At 1400 calories I'm maintaining but when I up it I start gaining again. Will getting on medication slow my metabolism down more? If so, there is no way I can continue with such a low calorie count. I've worked so hard to lose the 38lbs ive lost so far and I don't want to go back ): any advice would be deeply appreciated!

It is common after pregnancy to become hyperthyroid and temporary, it will get back to hypo within the next months.
  • marshageroli
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    So has your weight been going between 138-142, or are you consistently weighing at 142?

Do you weigh yourself at the same time of day, ideally first thing in the morning after going to the bathroom before eating? Are you wearing the same clothes?

Yes, I weigh in the morning before I eat, naked lol. I started at 138 and then I went to 140 then 139.5 then 142, then 144 then 142 over the course of a couple weeks

• deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    honestly 6lbs depending on time of the month, workout, amount of sleep, sodium - is well within a water weight fluctuation for me
  • Mkneedtogetfit
    Mkneedtogetfit Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I have lost 25kg and my baby is 8 months old. I started losing weight when she was 3 months. She is exclusive breastfed. I must confess that I have hit a plateau which is really frustrating me but size 16 to size 12 feels good. Just eat nutritious food that is good for you and the baby.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    Does that mean I'm doomed to gain weight until my baby is not breastfeeding anymore?

No you can still lose weight whilst breastfeeding as many women have done before but if you eat so little you defeat the purpose of breast feeding by not providing enough nutrients for yourself and the baby. You need an additional 500 calories during breastfeeding, so you can maintain your weight for now. Honestly you're almost as tall as me, I'm 5'4" and you're 143lbs which is not that much overweight considering you've had a baby! That's 63ish kilos which is not a lot for your height and I know because when I was 63kg I looked really slim. Focus on eating nutritious foods that will help your baby to grow and give you energy. Junk food will suck the energy out of you and make you feel sluggish. Try to go for walks as a way to burn more calories and start getting more active.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Toss out any thyroid results during your TOM or pregnancy. These are all over the place and will not tell you anything.

Thyroid impacts your Resting Energy Expenditure (REE) by ~5% - whether hyper/hypo it's about the same degree of impact.

Any shift in hormone can result in a temporary weight gain, but this is only temporary and just water weight. It's you body's natural defense mechanism.

Simply maintain a safe/moderate deficit and you will lose weight. Note there is an inherent 20% margin of error in calorie estimation, so keep an eye on that in your logging - to be safe log packaged items as 1.2 as opposed to 1.