Could you walk 50 miles in a day?

Options
2»

Replies

• sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Joe McConaughy of Seattle finished setting a new fastest known time on the AT last week. He hiked 2,190 miles in 45 and 1/2 days without support. That's an average of 48 hilly miles per day, carrying his shelter on his back.

The previous record was 54 days. This one seems likely to stand for a very long time.

It's hard to imagine the physical and emotional toll this must take on a person, or the dedication involved.

https://gearjunkie.com/appalachian-trail-unsupported-supported-speed-record-fkt-string-bean

I don't know if that's possible for the average person. An average pace is like 3.0 miles per hour...that's like 16-17 hours of walking and 7 hours sleeping. Sacrificing one or the other or walking faster at some points. Geez.
  • GlassAngyl
    GlassAngyl Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Farthest I've ever walked in a day is 12 miles and that nearly killed me..
  • sheepingly
    sheepingly Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    GlassAngyl wrote: »
    Farthest I've ever walked in a day is 12 miles and that nearly killed me..

Farthest for me is 3.2 miles :D and i got blisters after the first mile.
  • wsusan162
    wsusan162 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Ran a 50K two years ago, took 9.5 hours, I iced my legs and still could just barely hobble the next day.....so NO!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,205 Member
    Options
    Could you walk 50 miles in a day?

Possibly ... but I have a bicycle to do those sorts of distances. :)
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    So far, I think I can do ten... Based on how long it took me to walk to my destination and how fast I usually walk.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    I think I could do 24, which is 8 hours at a 3 mph pace, over level ground. So nope, no way.

I vaguely recall my husband had to do 40 on a road march once when he was in Ranger training. He was something like 19 years old and very fit. I'll have to ask him.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    On one of his bad days he said he had to stop running after 10 miles. Meaning he tends to run most of it.

So could I walk 50 miles on one day? Possibly. Could I do what he did for even one day? No chance.
  • KetoZombies
    KetoZombies Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    If my children life depended on it - but otherwise, n to the o
  • Rosemary7391
    Rosemary7391 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I thought I was doing okay with walking 50 miles in 4 days!

In summer when I'm lighter/fitter I can imagine doing 20-25 or so miles in a day reasonably. Not in the winter though, I'm not keen on walking in the dark and the days are too short here.
  • RandJ6280
    RandJ6280 Posts: 1,161 Member
    Options
    I don't know if I could.... but I did do 30 miles in a day back in 2011(I was 48 years old)
  • vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    Options
    Yeah...No.
  • jaci66
    jaci66 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    It really depends on the motivation. I could, if I set my mind to it. It's a huge undertaking. The best I've done thus far - in the three months I've been walking, is 14.4 miles in 4 hours. Need some more 'training'. LOL
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Not even close for me. One day, probably yes. Two days, MAYBE, but certainly not a week straight. That feat is so far beyond most people's experience it is hard to even imagine the physical and mental demands of the task.

I know a fair number of endurance junkies, but can only think of one who even comes close in terms of attempting such an aggressive feat. My coach's husband is an Ultra runner and 8 time Ironman who signed up for the Grand Slam this season. The GS is achieved by completing four of the most demanding 100 mile trail races in the US: The Western States 100 in California , Leadville 100 in Colorado, The Vermont 100 and Wasatch 100 in Utah.

These folks remind me of the saying: " Only those who risk going too far find out how far you can really go."

• Kate_UK
    Kate_UK Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    15 miles and I'm ready for bed, can't think how difficult that would be!
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    I've done a 32mile run. (2012) Pretty sure I could tack on an additional 18mi well within 24hrs. For ONE day. No more. Pretty sure I'd be wrecked/injured trying to do it multiple days. Lol.

Incredible feat!