Oats calorie confusion

Options
2»

Replies

• earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    hi guys- busy making a huge batch of vegan black bean burgers...

it calls for 1 cup of dry oats
    i entered it into MFP and 1 cup = 607 cals

then when i started cooking i placed my measuring cup (its a proper 250ml/8oz measuring cup) on the scale, set it to zero and filled it up with oats. that gave me 90g = 350 calories

theres a big difference between 350 and 607 cals !?

any ideas why?

A dry serving of plain uncooked oats is about 40 grams, for 150 calories-ish. That is a quarter cup.

Depends on the type of oats. It is closer to 1/4 cup for steel cut but it is more like 1/2 cup for rolled oats. Oat berries will be different yet.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    You're not using the brand name for your entries? Ex: Quaker instant oats. Give name brand, people will look up the correct info for you. (I always go by weight when it comes to oats - never volume).

when it comes to wholefood plants i use the admin entries as plants typically have the same nutrients no matter what brand supplies it, you know?

anyway maybe ill check tomorrow according to the label....

but anyway lets say i go by the admin-entried oats, its a big difference in calories !

Instead of the admin-entered, for whole foods you should be using the USDA entries. They are the most accurate and are an average of testing the same food item grown in many different regions and from different growing conditions.

• arobertson117
    arobertson117 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Would just scanning the bar code solve the entry / conversion problem?