Just started - question

Options
Hi,

I just started exercising after years of nothing. Like I make couch potatoes look active.

I'm doing Zumba type things (classes at the gym, mostly dancey cardio things). Im going to add yoga when the schedule works out. Gym also has Pilates (standing/mat)

Between newly exercising (1 week) and natural tension my back is like concrete.

How long should I expect this human cinderblock feeling to last?

Anything I can do to help it?

Note - I literally just started, so dancey cardio classes are easy and efficient and so far have gotten my *kitten* to the gym so that's not changing right now. I know I should be doing some HIIT or at least a strength/cardio circuit, and I will, but later.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I would say it usually takes me a few weeks to get completely used to a new exercise or routine. Feeling aches at one week is totally normal. Just make sure you're giving yourself sufficient rest days.

By the way, lots of people have fun and good results with HIIT, but if you don't want to do it don't feel like you "should." Plenty of fit people never do HIIT. Resistance training is good to add in at some point, but don't rush yourself. It sounds like you're doing great so far so don't give yourself a hard time about what you "should" be doing!
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I would say it usually takes me a few weeks to get completely used to a new exercise or routine. Feeling aches at one week is totally normal. Just make sure you're giving yourself sufficient rest days.

By the way, lots of people have fun and good results with HIIT, but if you don't want to do it don't feel like you "should." Plenty of fit people never do HIIT. Resistance training is good to add in at some point, but don't rush yourself. It sounds like you're doing great so far so don't give yourself a hard time about what you "should" be doing!

I agree with this. I make sure I drink lots of water, stretch/foam roll frequently, and get lots of sleep- all helps with my recovery. But even with all of that, a new routine will still take a little time to get used to.
  • zeldon919
    zeldon919 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Thanks.

Just to be clear - my current goal is "go to gym regularly" and the classes are really good for that. I'm very happy with how I'm doing.

I was trying to preempt the gym bros who give a detailed analysis of their best ever body building fat busting program to every question.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    zeldon919 wrote: »
    Between newly exercising (1 week) and natural tension my back is like concrete.

Sounds like your "natural tension" is the problem. Try stretching it every 1-2 hours, daily. If you don't know what stretches to do, specify exactly where the tightness is.
    :+1:
  • zeldon919
    Options
    I've no doubt the natural tension plays a part, but it's gotten worse since I started exercising.

It's kind of along my spine on both sides. Low-mid back (below the shoulder blades).
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    Options
    Massage is the best option. Hot pads or a bath in Epsom salt may help as well. As you get stronger, you'll hurt a lot less.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    To put it in perspective, your back had been like concrete for years, not a week. Most people experience very gradual change over months & years, not dramatic improvements in a few days or weeks. Do a good warmup, fo exercise appropriate to your condition & fitness, as ND stretch of foam roll afterwards. Also walk more all day long.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Warm up properly, stretch, use the hot tub, try yoga☺
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    zeldon919 wrote: »
    It's kind of along my spine on both sides. Low-mid back (below the shoulder blades).

google was so helpful for me when i started lifting and had all this Stuff. start with anatomical charts of the zone that's bothering you, google whichever muscles seem like they're involved in your thing, keep refining. there's a ton of useful information out there and you can learn so much about how your own body works.

• zeldon919
    Options
    Did yoga today. It was suggested I try chair yoga. Infer what you will from this.