Raw or gloves?

Options
I like that I lift raw but I have been looking at maybe getting some lifting gloves. Like the half glove with grip type. My frosted side is like "Awesome! Get the purple ones and maybe I can pull more reps! Less pain! All the gripzzz!" While the unfrosted side says, " Pull raw! Love the callous, feel the burn, get better grip strength without cheating!" So yeah, going back and forth about it. Any one have an opinion either way?

Replies

• VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of gloves, not callouses, but I've been lifting awhile so I can't imagine going without them. The lifting class I take I think maybe three of us wear gloves. Just personal preference.
  • cqbkaju
    cqbkaju Posts: 1,011 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don't compete in lifting events but additional bar thickness makes me concentrate on (and builds) my grip strength more for grappling & FMA so I wear gloves when deadlifting heavy to get additional forearm work.
    I also wear gloves in the winter because I train in an unheated & un-insulated garage.
    Rows, pull-ups, chins, etc are all done with 2 inch thick bars at minimum.

It depends on what your training goals are. Do what works best for you.
    For the same reason, I will not use hooks or wraps because they do not require as much grip strength.

Gloves may save you from a few callouses but they usually make holding deadlifts harder if anything -not easier- because the fabric slips and adds thickness to the bar.
    Just like chalk prevents the bar from slipping in your hand, gloves usually do the opposite.
    That is unless there is some fancy gloves out there I don't know about.

Wraps / hooks, by contrast may make the lift somewhat easier because you are less grip strength dependent / limited.

If you want a better grip on the bar then use chalk.
    You can file the callouses down with pumice if necessary.

Gloves <> Wraps <> Chalk
    They all serve a somewhat different purpose.

* FMA: Filipino Martial Arts; stick and knife fighting.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    no gloves for me, just chalk
  • deputy_randolph
    deputy_randolph Posts: 940 Member
    Options
    gloves screw up my grip on deadlift...also can't compete with gloves; just use chalk. if you can't use chalk at gym...maybe try liquid chalk?
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I don't like callouses. I wear gloves. Maybe I'm being a girly girl but I'm sure my hubby appreciates it. LOL! ;)
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Just bare hands with chalk is all I use. I don't get calluses because I grip the barbell well.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Bare hands with chalk (if needed). I shave down my calluses with a razor once every week or two, no more comments about rough hands from the gf.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,978 Member
    Options
    Except for competitions that prohibit them, it's all a matter of personal preference.

Like 'em, wear 'em. If you don' t, don't.

I like them and wear them for comfort while lifting, rowing and doing pullups and any other exercises that require holding onto something.

Just feels better to me and does not affect the strength of my grip.

• incline83
    incline83 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I don't wear gloves for lifting, but I have been thinking of trying gloves for Terrain/Spartan races. It may help with grip on climbing rope, rings, and monkey bars.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks for the input everyone. I think I'll just keep on lifting raw and use chalk when needed. :)
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Raw and liquid chalk.
    But I'm a rower and we're all calloused as heck anyway ;)