Do you feel your size?

mlrtri
mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
I am just starting out so I am still bigger than I should be. But I feel like a small person who just happens to be lugging around 60 extra lbs. I am shocked when I look at pictures of myself. I have a very distorted picture in my head. I think that is why it took me so long to finally realize I had to get serious.

I was talking to a friend that lost a lot of weight years ago. She said she still feels like an obese person even though she is not anymore. She said she doesn't think she will ever get over it.

So I was wandering if we are the only crazy ones out there or if other people feel differently than they look.

Do you feel your size (large/small/anything in between)?

Replies

• aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    I am down 35, need another 80-100.

No. I feel AMAZING. I think I'm hot *kitten*. And then I see pictures.
  • mlrtri
    mlrtri Posts: 425 Member
    Pictures can be brutal!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I spent most of my adulthood around 260 lb and I currently feel like I'm right at say, 200 lb and women's size 16 I would say.

Actually I'm at 170 lb and size 10. I just think I will always feel bigger than I am. I've been at my current size for about 3 years and still don't think of myself at this size. I still eyeball things wrong in clothing stores, and take XL tops into the dressing room and come back out for M or L...stuff like that.

It's like I can feel that I don't take up the same amount of space I used to, but I don't feel like it's AS different as it actually is.

Photos are an additional weird thing for me because I look so tall and big next to my friends but way thinner than I think I look. I kind of avoid full body photos for this reason which I know is warped.
  • supacindy
    supacindy Posts: 4 Member
    I spent most of my life around skinny girls. I would work out every day for hours and look in the mirror and see someone bigger. I was 140 lbs and super fit but didn't feel that way which made me work out harder.
    But than life happened... Now I'm 175 lbs and feel smaller than I look until I look at a picture and reality kicks in. I totally kick myself every time I think back at not being satisfied by how I looked. It really sucks.
    Just trying to get back to what I once was.
  • jdlobb
    jdlobb Posts: 1,232 Member
    Yep. I feel every unwanted ounce of fat on my disgusting body.
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    It depends on the day realky
  • captainfantastic94
    captainfantastic94 Posts: 1,745 Member
    Is bossy sexy? That's the look I'm going for.

Got it down you bossy surfer lady
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    I've never felt my "size" my entire life. I've always felt at odds with what I see vs. what others see (or what a camera captures).

For example, when I was 20 and 163, friends and family commented on how thin and sickly I looked, and I felt completely fat and disgusting.

However, last year when I was a whopping 223 lbs, I felt fine with myself, mostly happy in my skin and completely confident. It was only looking at photos my husband took of us all when we were hiking The Narrows that I realized how far I'd let myself fall. Yet, inside.. I felt like a teenager. Vibrant, young, full of energy, ready to hike mountains and excited about life.

Now? Not so much. I weigh between those two points, but I have a long way to go before I get to my "goal". And honestly? I'm not really thrilled about this journey. It doesn't excite me, give me energy or make me feel better about myself. It's kind of sad that "fat" me was a happier vibrant person than the me now (which is still fat, let's face it).

It kind of bums me out thinking about it, honestly. But insight is useful regardless of how it makes you feel.
  • aemw93
    aemw93 Posts: 134 Member
    Sometimes waaay bigger, sometimes smaller. Who knows. The mind is strange thing :p
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    CanesGalactica, even though my weight was mostly very high I can kind of relate to what you're saying, too!

I felt "fat" and miserable ONLY when I was at my heaviest around 300 lb and my health was beginning to be affected (swollen ankles, out of breath at times after exercise)...but for almost all of my life, I felt very energetic and just generally good...so when I went from 260 lb (where I felt comfortable and had tons of energy) to say 200, 190, 180 and below...people would say "I bet you FEEL so much better now!" and to be honest, I don't. I know my endurance is better and my body has less strain on it. That's great! But I was always pretty energetic, flexible, etc. I felt pretty darn good at say, 250 lb.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    I got up to 272 at my highest, presently 178. My high school / college weight was between 125 - 140 but I haven't been that for decades. My body feels so much stronger and more muscular now that in my mind's eye I'm 140, but then I see photos (or certain angles in a mirror) and think, oh gosh I'm still fat! I've come so far that I can be startled sometimes at how far I still have to go.

I don't think I ever really felt 272. Except when I had to buy clothes. Then I couldn't help noticing that clothing manufacturers despise fat people.