Starving and binging

Options
Hi , so basically during the day I kinda 'fast'. I only eat about 200 calories so that I could eat a lot at night. However , I end up eating all my calories at night and start to feel really bloated , full and just sick. Should I give up on fasting or am I doing something wrong ? BTW, the reason i do this is because I usually go out with friends at night and I never know what we will be eating / drinking , so I save up calories.

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Your plan would be fine if you would stop eating just a little sooner. Try taking smaller bites, chewing more, and in general eat more slowly.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    It doesn't really matter. You can probably tweak what you eat/drink in the evenings so you can keep your habits/routines without making yourself feel sick, or you could spread your cals out more if felt that was a better option for you.

Either can work, either is fine... it's personal preference.
  • MegaMooseEsq
    MegaMooseEsq Posts: 3,118 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I would strongly suggest that you listen to your body when it says it's starving AND when it feels sick from overeating, and then do what you can to address both of those feelings. Do you track your food and drinks when you go out? It can be tricky, but it IS possible to get a rough sense of what you're eating on nights out. If you're self-conscious about poking around on the app in front of friends, start taking pictures of your food and guesstimating later (it's all going to be rough guesses anyhow). Don't try and make big changes at once, but see if there are some small changes you can make that will help you get a more balanced approach to food. Eating something filling right before going out might help you eat less later - eating at home is pretty much always going to be fewer calories than what you get going out. Can you play with your drink choice to cut down calories there, either by switching to something you drink slower, or something lower calories? I don't advocate jumping right to diet coke and vodka (unless you like that kind of thing), but I found that switching from wine and cocktails to beer and cider made a big difference for me because I can't/don't drink carbonated stuff as quickly. In any case, there are lots of things you can do, so go out and try something! Failing just means you've learned something and to try again or try something else.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Hi , so basically during the day I kinda 'fast'. I only eat about 200 calories so that I could eat a lot at night. However , I end up eating all my calories at night and start to feel really bloated , full and just sick. Should I give up on fasting or am I doing something wrong ? BTW, the reason i do this is because I usually go out with friends at night and I never know what we will be eating / drinking , so I save up calories.

Have you changed what you eat at night? If so, the bloating could be an intolerance to something you are eating. If not then it sounds like you are simply eating too much at once. Just because you go out to eat doesn't mean you have to stuff yourself silly. Just eat until you are full but not overly full.
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    You can eat light/low-cal during the day without starving yourself, and still have calories left for the evening. Here is what a typical pre-dinner looks like for me if I'm on plan:

* Breakfast: 2 hard-boiled eggs OR yogurt OR fruit (breakfast cals- around 150)
    * Lunch Salad w/ lots of greens, tomato, cucumber, feta cheese, olives, and olive oil & vinegar OR soup OR tuna salad on arugula (lunch cals- less than 300)

My daily goal is 1,500 so that leaves over 1,000 cals for dinner/drinks/dessert, maybe a little less if I'm hungry and have fruit, nuts or a 100-cal package of something (chips, crackers, whatever) as a snack.

Things you can try:
    * Eating more throughout the day
    * If eating more isn't helping, try playing with macros- maybe more protein would help if your usual day-time eating doesn't include much
    * Mini-meals. Maybe try having three 100-200 cal mini-meals/snacks throughout the day rather than having one meal and waiting it out until dinnertime.
    * Suggest eating at places that have light/healthy meal options. Plan in advance so you can look at the menu before you go, and be able to estimate what you will eat that night (so you know what you can work with during the day)
    * Pick low-cal drinks at night. Vodka with soda water and lime is refreshing (though it might take a little getting used to). Or pick something you can sip on for a longer period of time (I will always drink vodka sodas faster than, say, wine)
    * Find non-food/drink related activities to do with friends at least some of the time.
  • timtam163
    timtam163 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    The question is also what exactly you're ordering; even the diviest bar has salads. You're gonna have to overhaul what you're eating in order to not feel bloated. Also, drinking contributes to bloat.

It's one of those unfortunate things that if you stick to a lifestyle that encourages unhealthy habits, you will stay unhealthy. Unless you're committed to cutting way back on drinks, ordering a salad, and calling it a night early, or sticking to going out only one or two nights a week, you won't see a change.
  • timtam163
    Options
    P.S. I'm also pretty sure that in order to do intermittent fasting properly, you probably can't rely on fried carby foods. IF goes hand in hand with other dietary interventions; you're more likely to feel ok fasting if you are getting your calories from whole foods and balanced macros. IF isn't a quick fix by itself.
  • RedSierra
    RedSierra Posts: 253 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    buffgrl wrote: »
    Fasting as a means of weight loss works better for men, who don't have the delicate hormonal balance that us ladies need to maintain in order for our metabolisms to function optimally.

Huh? So men don't have hormones that are "delicately balanced" but us ladies do? Not buying this one. Women can fast just as well as men. You made some other good comments but this doesn't fly.
    Moxie42 wrote: »
    * Suggest eating at places that have light/healthy meal options. Plan in advance so you can look at the menu before you go, and be able to estimate what you will eat that night (so you know what you can work with during the day)

A lot of good suggestions. I like the one about suggesting places with light/healthy meal options. Many places have online menus you can look up.

• timtam163
    Options
    RedSierra wrote: »
    buffgrl wrote: »
    Fasting as a means of weight loss works better for men, who don't have the delicate hormonal balance that us ladies need to maintain in order for our metabolisms to function optimally.

Huh? So men don't have hormones that are "delicately balanced" but us ladies do? Not buying this one. Women can fast just as well as men. You made some other good comments but this doesn't fly.

The comment was weirdly worded (yes all hormones are delicately balanced), but there really is evidence that women don't tolerate fasting as well as men do--or that our tolerance for it is, well, cyclical. But the main IF studies exclude premenopausal women so data are sorely lacking.