Exercises for belly and back fat?

Options
So, the fat on my back and stomach is literally satan, and i'm not sure what to do about it. Any good exercises you would recommend

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Exercises of eating in a deficit and patience. The fat will only come off with these two.

^ this

/thread
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Although you can't spot reduce, eating adequate protein and doing strength exercises including core whilst on a deficit will retain lean mass whilst you're losing and I have found a significant reduction on my waist and belly measurements (which are my problem areas) losing weight this time around compared to when I was losing for my wedding with cardio alone. I am a bit heavier (and obviously older) losing this time but my overall body measurements are smaller even though I weigh more because I've lost more fat rather than too much muscle this time.

I think everyone has some good points on this thread and none of it is bad advice when it comes to losing inches.

So my personal advice from personal experience is calorie deficit and losing is the most important, followed by getting adequate protein 0.8-1g per pound of lean mass ideally (although I am admittedly crap at hitting my protein targets) and doing some strength exercises. :)
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    JenObRN wrote: »
    I would never suggest "spot reduction of fat". But you can't tell me that working out your calves is going to define your back and abs. You still need to work out your core to define those muscles along with the rest of your body. :neutral:

And then you would have developed back and belly muscles that would still be covered over by a layer of subcutaneous fat. The OP never asked a single thing about how do I define back and belly muscles.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    This is the great thing about a public community like this. Well, "public" in the sense that you have to log on to the MyFitnessPal web site (and that does not take long to accomplish).

I believe that all of this conversation is actually quite positive (well, for the most part). Some people are answering the EXACT question being asked - namely, I have some back fat and some arm fat, what can I do about that?

The question, however, is IMPLYING that she wants to "spot reduce". Spot reducing is an interesting theme. To answer that IMPLIED question we have to say "Likely, no....sorry!".

And answer the SPIRIT of the question, we would likely have to provide some sort of "attack it from both sides" answer. We would want to suggest some sort of "training" regime in conjunction with a general "fat reduction" regime. So, she builds muscle underneath and reduces fat on top.

Then, to set expectations properly (because we all get impatient....for the most part) we include the "and the whole notion of 'spot reducing' is an interesting topic....generally speaking, that does not work that way and your body (read: genetics) will essentially dictate how - and when - the fat goes away...sorry!" disclaimer and everyone is happy!

But, the potential challenge about answering the spirit of the question is that we are (potentially) making assumptions about said spirit.

So, how in the world do we answer this question? And keep things to 140 characters or fewer (sorry - had to get that in there!)? Maybe answer the question as stated and - if there is possibility of "spirit" differing from the exact question then we ask "Hey, generally speaking you do this and that. NOW - it sounds like you might be asking 'Can I do anything to specifically target fat loss here and here?" and if that is the case......."

Yes, another long reply from me! :smile:
  • kristen8000
    kristen8000 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    You can do exercises until you are blue in the face, but nothing will make the fat go away faster than a calorie deficit and patience. Exercising (core work, weights, cardio, etc) will make your body look better - but the only effective way to lose fat is to eat less than you burn. And unfortunately, that may be the last "fat" to go. So if you aren't close to goal, you'll just have to wait it out.

But if anyone figures out the magic way to "decrease" ones bustline - please, look me up and let me know. I'm 5lbs away from goal and I'm still dealing with size G cups. Grr....
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    You can do exercises until you are blue in the face, but nothing will make the fat go away faster than a calorie deficit and patience. Exercising (core work, weights, cardio, etc) will make your body look better - but the only effective way to lose fat is to eat less than you burn. And unfortunately, that may be the last "fat" to go. So if you aren't close to goal, you'll just have to wait it out.

But if anyone figures out the magic way to "decrease" ones bustline - please, look me up and let me know. I'm 5lbs away from goal and I'm still dealing with size G cups. Grr....

Lol, some would consider that a blessing! Have you seen any of the " I'm close to goal weight, so yay. But where did my boobies go??" threads. I get it though. There are also the boob reduction threads. Just. Can't. Win. :p
  • Penthesilea514
    Penthesilea514 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    JenObRN wrote: »
    I love how everyone is jumping all over me. I asked to see where the poster received their information, I posted where I received mine. I gave my opinion on how yes, first calorie deficit (by typing in an ^ and saying "this"but there are exercises to help tighten the areas. Wth? The next poster was like, "Nope!" You guys are extremely rude. I was trying to give the original poster some help and next thing I know the string of comments are ripping me apart.

Exercise doesn't "tighten" the areas.

I reeeaaallly wish it did. I'd be tight AF by now. Losing weight whilst strength training is doing wonders to slowly but surely reveal the muscle underneath though.

*sigh* me too lol
This discussion has been closed.