Hummus

Options
Nutrition label on hummus, I checked a few brands, claims, 4g carbs. Chickpeas are listed as main ingredient, second ingredient is tahini. Tahini is 4g of carbs on its packaging. I was making it at home. Let's assume I make 50g serving. I see no way to blend chickpeas, 18g carbs/83g serving...something like that, going by memory, and tahini and be at 4g carb. Please double check my #s.
Conclusion: The manufacturer is lying on the label. Discussion please.

Replies

• Cbean08
    Cbean08 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    It's likely net carbs, so they are subtracting out the fiber from the beans. Also, hummus is more of a fat than a source of carbohydrates.
  • rfrenkel77
    rfrenkel77 Posts: 103 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    They claim total on label. I am looking to make homemade hummus. I want same low carb results as the store claims. I don't see how I can dump a serving of chickpeas in the blender with tahini and be at 4g carbs. I guesstimate it will be 15g minimum. So someone is lying. There is no sugar in my peas or tahini. The carbs are a natural to tahini and peas.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    How are you calculating this? Even without the water and oil a serving of hummus (30 grams) cannot contain 15 grams of carbs. 30 grams of canned chickpeas alone without tahini or oil have 6 or 7 grams of total carbs.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Is the serving size on the hummus vs. your beans at home the same. They may be giving the nutritional info for only 1 Tbsp.
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    I'll buy it and sit down with excel sheet today. To sort it out. Was hoping crowdsourcing it would bring out someone who had a ready answer. Was being lazy that's all.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    I'll buy it and sit down with excel sheet today. To sort it out. Was hoping crowdsourcing it would bring out someone who had a ready answer. Was being lazy that's all.

I do think that water is probably the answer to any discrepancy that you're seeing. I usually add water myself when I'm making hummus because I prefer the looser texture.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Well, found a local recipe:

2 cups boiled chickpeas (90 g of carbs)
    1/2 cup lemon juice (8 grams of carbs)
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup tahini (or more to taste, 4 grams of carbs)
    1 garlic clove (1 gram of carbs)
    1/4 cup water (from the boiled chickpeas, more if needed)

Total carbs for the recipe 103 (76 net carbs)
    Total weight of the ingredients 680 grams (or more if more water is used)
    Total carbs in a 30 gram (2 tbsp) serving 4.6 (3.4 net carbs)
  • Autumnhovey757
    Autumnhovey757 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    There is a very cool adaptation recipe floating around that subs cauliflower for some of the chickpeas that is supposedly much more diet friendly.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    rfrenkel77 wrote: »
    Nutrition label on hummus, I checked a few brands, claims, 4g carbs. Chickpeas are listed as main ingredient, second ingredient is tahini. Tahini is 4g of carbs on its packaging. I was making it at home. Let's assume I make 50g serving. I see no way to blend chickpeas, 18g carbs/83g serving...something like that, going by memory, and tahini and be at 4g carb. Please double check my #s.
    Conclusion: The manufacturer is lying on the label. Discussion please.

The 4 grams of carbs is for a 2 Tbsp serving...seems about right to me
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Just use the Recipe function, input your ingredients and you'll have the macros. It's easy.

There is a lot of water and/or lemon juice added. I use chickpeas, garlic, lemon juice, tahini to taste, salt pepper to taste, paprika and cumin.
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    Thanks for the help all. Will do it this weekend, and will definitely try the cauliflower version. Me and the wife are on keto plan, so the less carbs the better.
  • amusedmonkey
    Options
    Just a note, I have not tried the above recipe so I can't vouch for it or any modified version of it, I listed it just to show that what is listed on the package is very much within the carbs one would expect in hummus.

A side note, we never bother with making it. The city is full of corner shops selling authentic hand-made hummus. It's basically street food here. I consider myself lucky in that regard because I love hummus.
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    My purpose of making myself is to eliminate canola oil, which all manufacturers use. It's cost control for them. Olive oil is what I want.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,081 Member
    Options
    Plus it's so much cheaper to make it yourself. I figure it's 1/3 the cost.
  • kfm582
    kfm582 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Not all manufacturers use canola oil. The Classic Hummus at our local Aldi does not have canola oil. It has sunflower oil in addition to the olive oil, though. I would love to try making it myself one day, but for now that's the only one I buy. Good luck! I hope it turns out great.
  • rfrenkel77
    Options
    I made the recipe, it’s awesome, I’m never buying store made again. I used extra virgin olive oil which gave it a bitterly after taste, as extra virgin does. So I thought it was a bad choice. However, after a day in the fridge, the bitter was completely gone, don’t know if it’s the cool temp or that chemical diffused in the mix after sitting. I sprinkled top with turmeric, Spanish paprika, chili powder. Magical.

Well, found a local recipe:

2 cups boiled chickpeas (90 g of carbs)
    1/2 cup lemon juice (8 grams of carbs)
    1/2 cup olive oil
    1/4 cup tahini (or more to taste, 4 grams of carbs)
    1 garlic clove (1 gram of carbs)
    1/4 cup water (from the boiled chickpeas, more if needed)

Total carbs for the recipe 103 (76 net carbs)
    Total weight of the ingredients 680 grams (or more if more water is used)
    Total carbs in a 30 gram (2 tbsp) serving 4.6 (3.4 net carbs)