My body resists cottage cheese

Options
I used to eat cottage cheese plain all the time, no problem. Then one day I had a bad bowl of cottage cheese or something and I haven't been able to stand the taste or texture ever since. I tried eating it with apples and maple syrup and cinnamon and I admit that it was delicious, but I still had to fight my body to get it down. Is this some sort of physiological response to the past experience I had with cottage cheese or is it all in my head?

Anyone have familiar experiences with food? Something they enjoy or want to enjoy but their body resists? Not including allergies or intolerances of course.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    This happens to me ALL THE TIME, and has recently happened with cottage cheese. Ate it all the time, every morning for breakfast, one morning it made me gag and I haven't been able to face it since.

I have no explanation for you, just empathy.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Part of being an omnivore is that we will develop an aversion to things that makes us sick (this is how omnivores are able to try out new foods, or things that could be food, and know not to eat it again if it makes us sick*). So, not in your head at all, totally a physiological response. Totally awesome survival mechanism, but also totally sucks if it's just something that's gone bad or we happened to get a vicious tummy bug that same day and our body associates the two things wrongly. Sometimes the aversion goes away with time, often not. I couldn't drink apple juice for ages at one point, because I'd been drinking it in an effort to stay hydrated whilst puking my guts out, and my body decided the juice was the culprit. Moral of that story, stick to water when you're vomiting.

*ridiculously simplified version
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    I went through that but then just switched brands. I used to eat Land O' Lakes for-ever and then one day it just tasted off, noticed some of the values on the label had changeg, one being a sodium increase. So I didn't eat cottage cheese for a while, then bought Daisy brand on a whim at the store one day and it tasted just like how I like it/remember it. I didn't compare labels in the store so I am not sure what's different, but the Daisy definitely tasted better to me than my old brand I was buying.
  • cs2thecox
    cs2thecox Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    I have a weird texture issue and cannot even swallow porridge, cottage cheese, rice pudding, things like that.
    (Weirdly, risotto is fine.)

I used to eat Ready Brek (instant oatmeal, but smooth?) a lot as a child, so heaven knows where it all came from.

I just roll with it, and enjoy my cottage cheese-free life! :D
  • jayemes
    jayemes Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    cs2thecox wrote: »
    I have a weird texture issue and cannot even swallow porridge, cottage cheese, rice pudding, things like that.
    (Weirdly, risotto is fine.)
    That's because good risotto is amazing :)
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    I have this issue with tuna now. used to love eating it and now I cant even stand the thought of eating it. potted meat is another.
  • susanp57
    susanp57 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have this issue with tuna now. used to love eating it and now I cant even stand the thought of eating it. potted meat is another.

I have the same thing with tuna also.
  • milligan013
    milligan013 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I love eating Tuna, especially on airplanes!
  • swim_mom2
    swim_mom2 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I really don't like cottage cheese, but I'm going to try whipping it to see if I can stomach it. Could also be a food aversion. It took me years to eat broccoli soup after a bad incident.
  • HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    Happens all the time. Taste for things comes and goes. I used to eat cottage cheese a lot. Now I find I don't like it. Right now I enjoy yogurt but there were several years where I really couldn't stand the stuff. It seems with those two items, anyway, if I like one I don't like the other. Then it switches. No explanation and this has been going on for decades.