Probiotic?

Options
I have a pretty awful metabolism (self-diagnosed). I'm 20, female, 5'10, and if I net more than ~1500 calories/day, I lose weight. According to every BMR calculator I've tried, this is about 600-800 calories too low. I don't have any health problems, I drink more than the daily recommended intake of water, and I'm very active (I run and lift regularly). Currently 155 pounds (after a 15 pound weight gain during my 2 month study abroad trip this summer).

My mom suggested that I start taking a probiotic to "speed up my metabolism." I'm normally very hesitant to take any sort of vitamin/supplement (I'd prefer to get that nutrient directly from food, I don't like putting things in my body that shouldn't be there, etc.), so I'm a little skeptical about this suggestion.

So, I have two questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with probiotics? Please share.
2. If anyone has done any amount of research on probiotics, can you point me in the right direction with studies/source?

Thanks!

Replies

• Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Probiotics help with digestion. They do nothing to "speed up metabolism". I've had great results taking probiotics. My belly is much happier when I do.

At 5'10 and 155 you might consider not worrying too much about what the scale says and focusing more on changing your body fat %.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    ^^I wasn't worried about it in the slightest when I weighed 140, but I know that 100% of the pounds I put on this summer are the result of lack of exercise and eating too much, so I'd like to lose them again.

And yeah, that was my understanding-- that probiotics were meant to help with digestion-- and my digestion isn't having any problems!
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Probiotics and prebiotics don't deliver the sort of demonstrable benefit that would allow you to advertise them on that basis.

There's stuff about digestion improvements leading to other benefits at http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324784404578143402702878118.html

Probiotics are bacteria, you're adding colonies of hopefully beneficial bugs to your intestines.