Low Impact High Burn Workout Ideas?

Options
I am still recovering from a herniated disc issue in my lower back -- I am looking for high burn low impact workout ideas if that is even a thing that I can do to help my weight loss along? I am about ready I think to ease back into running but am looking for other options I can do at home or at the gym. Thanks!

Replies

• lolliopopsnrainbows
    Options
    How about swimming, walking or cycling on a static bike? I imagine they'll all be fairly low impact on your spine and also reduce the risk of "jolting" your spine. But be gentle on yourself, it's so easy to overdo it but all that happens in the end is that you need longer to recover! So listen carefully to your body and focus on getting better rather than exercising. The majority of weight loss is from eating anyway, and if I were in your position I would aim to eat at maintenence (and make an effort not to gain weight whilst you're more inactive than usual) and keep myself moving but without the intention to "exercise". Then once you're back to full(ish) health, you can pick up from where you are now.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,064 Member
    Options
    Low Impact HIIT could work, but you will need to be careful if you're still recovering and discuss any exercise plans with Dr/Phsyio. Bodycoach TV has some good ones.

Eliptical trainer at the gym can be good for low impact cardio too.

• hale03071
    hale03071 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Swimming or biking is generally low impact and with the right intensity level you can burn a lot of calories. If you aren't ready for running, try hiking, it burns just as many if not more calories per hour as running and may not be as high impact on your back in this situation.
  • xxzenabxx
    xxzenabxx Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    I have just the perfect workouts for you! Go to Fitness Blender workouts on YouTube or type in low impact cardio and they have tonnes of low impact workouts specially for people who cant do high intensity workouts due to illness/injurys. They also help to lose weight and build up fitness. Even the elderly can do them.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Running is not low impact. It is one of highest impact activities you can do.
  • kavahni
    kavahni Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Deep water running is your friend!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Ride a bike...