Coulis calorie curiosity

Options
estherdragonbat
estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
At the end of the day, I know this is majoring in the minors, but I guess I'm curious in case one day I'm dealing with a variation with higher-calorie vegetables than tomatoes and bell peppers.

So, this sauce calls for three yellow tomatoes and two yellow peppers (no issue, tossed everything on the scale, business as usual). I roast them, I puree them, I add 2 tsp of vinegar, 1 tsp of Dijon, 3 tbsp of olive oil (plus a 1/2 tbsp to toss with the veggies before roasting them), salt and pepper and blend to combine. So far, so good.

But then, I pass it all through a sieve and discard the solids. And I'm curious how to adjust calories. The vegetables were weighed raw, not roasted and the weight could've changed in the cooking. I don't really care about the mustard or vinegar; calorie-wise, they're pretty negligible. But obviously, a good portion of the veggies aren't in the end product now. And I'm not sure if any of the oil stayed behind either.

So, since I included the raw weights of the whole vegetables in the recipe builder, but can't really calculate the value of the end product (it's a thin sauce, so I'd be looking at volume, not grams in any case), how do I figure the calories?

Replies

• HeidiCooksSupper
    HeidiCooksSupper Posts: 3,831 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem with roasted red peppers, oven dried tomatoes, and similar stuff I make up and use over time. I've been eyeballing them for lack of a better method. Since we're only talking a difference of about 15 calories between a whole tomato and a half a tomato, or a whole yellow pepper and half of one, you might want to think of them as you do the mustard and vinegar and give it a good guess.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm just going to go by the weights I have and if I'm eating 10 calories fewer per quarter cup than I think... eh. It'll balance.