Runners: Favorite smartwatch

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Go with Garmin.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/blog has great reviews.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    If you want one for running, I don't think you can beat the pricey Garmins. Too much for me so I've got a Garmin Vivoactive HR. More of a general tracker then a running specific one. They have a new version coming out in a couple of months that has a few new features.

With the VAHR I can track all kinds of activities as well as my daily steps.

In Cdn dollars, the 5X is ~$950 and the VAHR is $300.

The VAHR is probably more of what is in my budget. I feel like I'd need at least a year of serious dedication to running (and other exercises) to feel like a bigger purchase would be worth it. Somehow, even after losing 90+ lbs, my inner critic isn't convinced it will stick. But, when I set benchmarks like, "If I do it for x months then I get x" has worked very successfully this past year. My Gear Fit 2 crapping out was unexpected and I am SUPER grumpy about it. It has been my constant companion since October. I feel naked and lost without it and relying on my phone apps during my runs just feels weird and unintuitive. My first race is this Saturday, and I won't have a new watch in time and I am incredibly bummed about it.

Sorry to rant. I have a lot of pent up frustration about this stupid watch issue. :/

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does the Fit 2 also play music? I seem to remember glancing at it and discarding it as not being waterproof (matters a lot to me). But if you use it to play music, not many of them do. I think there is a Tom Tom that does.

I think it is supposed to be waterproof, but the sensor on the back becomes easily unglued, and then you get sweat in it and void the warranty with "water damage." It does play music, although I never successfully got it to work. I always had to send audio from my phone to my headphones. Music would be nice, but not a requirement. I have a belt for my phone that works quite nicely.
  • fitoverfortymom
    edited September 2017
    Options
    Watches that track exercise record great detail, and send it to other software. That usually happens over Bluetooth, because it's more convenient than having to plug your watch into your computer to see your data. Once you have a watch exchanging data with a phone, you might as well go whole hog and throw in stuff like text messages, you've already built the infrastructure for it, and they add a lot of value for very little additional cost.

I wouldn't mind having that stuff, its just not necessary. I did like that my watch would vibrate with phone calls.
  • aeloine
    aeloine Posts: 2,163 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    I just got the Fitbit charge 2. I know it's not nearly as fancy as some of the ones listed here but it has a screen so I can read my texts, and it tells me who's calling. The app tells me distance, mph, splits, etc. It also displays HR. Probably not the most accurate at all but I use it as a guide more that anything. I currently only run short distances but hoping to work up to a 10k over the next year.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Garmins:

Forerunner 230. A separate HR strap is better than a wrist based optical. But it also sounds like you aren't going to train by hr anyway, so why buy a feature you don't want.

Forerunner 35. Simplier and cheaper than the FR230.

Vivoactive 3. Preorder, but 95% of the FR23x but with extra stuff. 23x will only do bike, run, or other. VA3 will do stuff like kayaking.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Garmins:

Forerunner 230. A separate HR strap is better than a wrist based optical. But it also sounds like you aren't going to train by hr anyway, so why buy a feature you don't want.

Vivoactive 3. Preorder, but 95% of the FR23x but with extra stuff. 23x will only do bike, run, or other. VA3 will do stuff like kayaking.

Wouldn't you go Forerunner 235 over 230?

No research by me on the 35 but a good entry level running watch.

VA3 can also pair with a variety of chest straps if so desired. I'm going to do some experimenting to test accuracy, I'd love to ditch the chest for the most part.
  • RhiAndy11
    RhiAndy11 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    garmin vivosmart hr+ does what you want it to do. good for running and walking. gps. syncs with mfp and strava and mapmyrun. buzzes each mile/km telling you your pace. buzzes when u reach daily step goal. buzzes for phonecalls and texts
  • melissaulmen
    melissaulmen Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Looks like everyone loves Garmin here. Never tried them. I love my Polar Loop for steps. The Polar Loop 2 has an option of a chest strap HRM. I was looking at those recently. You can also just get the HRM and the app to track from your phone.
    My Polar Loops Syncs with MFP.

I will be interested to see what you pick!
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Does it have to be a smartwatch? Are you wanting something that tells you about test messages, etc...

My most minimum requirements are the ability to track my exercise (primarily walking and running, occasional biking and hiking). The ability to text, call, social media is completely unimportant. Being able to connect it to MFP automatically for calories purposes is a necessity also.

Might be more than you "need" and you may not like the square style, but the Garmin920xt does all the things you've outlined (and more) at a price point of about $200 online, $250 with optional chest strap HRM. It is aimed at the multisport audience, so it is waterproof and provides swim data as well. All my garmin data is synced to MFP automatically.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Watches that track exercise record great detail, and send it to other software. That usually happens over Bluetooth, because it's more convenient than having to plug your watch into your computer to see your data. Once you have a watch exchanging data with a phone, you might as well go whole hog and throw in stuff like text messages, you've already built the infrastructure for it, and they add a lot of value for very little additional cost.

I wouldn't mind having that stuff, its just not necessary. I did like that my watch would vibrate with phone calls.

I'm not really a phone person and didn't expect to get much use out of those features. I kind of thought they were a gimmick. Turns out they mean I can set my phone down and forget about it, still getting my texts, and seeing that they don't need an immediate response. I also like the "find my phone" feature. :smile:
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Garmin Fenix 5X. I'd tell you why I love it but I'm sure there's a limit to post length.

I have a Garmin 920XT (triathlon model at the time).. I bought it before they came out with the Fenix line (it merged many of the features of the running/triathlon line and the outdoor line that previously were unavailable on the same watch). When it eventually dies, I'll probably buy a Fenix.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    look up "dc rainmaker" for running watch reviews, and figure out which features you really want.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    Some possible features to think about when deciding:

[1] Battery life. Are you planning to go on any backpacking/mountaineering trips? Marathons or ultra runs? etc.
    [2] Are you planning to do any specific speedwork workouts (like a tempo run, or introduce sprints, or any other interval-type workouts) that you would like programmed into the watch?
    [3] Pre-planned courses with cues? (watch will beep and show a cue telling you when and which direction to turn).
    [4] Visible map of your path
    [5] Basemap (topo or street maps laid under your path)
    [6] support for other less common activities
    [7] effort required to sync data
    [8] Compatibility with training sites
    [9] Customized fields/number of fields viewable during activity
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Garmin Fenix 5X. I'd tell you why I love it but I'm sure there's a limit to post length.

I have a Garmin 920XT (triathlon model at the time).. I bought it before they came out with the Fenix line (it merged many of the features of the running/triathlon line and the outdoor line that previously were unavailable on the same watch). When it eventually dies, I'll probably buy a Fenix.

I have a co-worker with a 920XT. It's like a square Fenix with an extra physical button. He loves it.
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    scorpio516 wrote: »
    Garmins:

Wouldn't you go Forerunner 235 over 230?

No. Litterally the only difference is the leds. As they aren't as accurate as every other way of reading a HR, the 230 is the better way to go
  • Weebsty
    Weebsty Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went to my local running shop, Ultra Running Company in Charlotte, and after they patiently walked me through lots of options, I went with the Garmin Fenix 5x. I've never looked back. I've had every one; Fitbit, Apple, Suunto, and none of them has been as good as this watch. Ridiculous battery life too! Can't recommend it highly enough.
  • fitoverfortymom
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Does it have to be a smartwatch? Are you wanting something that tells you about test messages, etc...

My most minimum requirements are the ability to track my exercise (primarily walking and running, occasional biking and hiking). The ability to text, call, social media is completely unimportant. Being able to connect it to MFP automatically for calories purposes is a necessity also.

Might be more than you "need" and you may not like the square style, but the Garmin920xt does all the things you've outlined (and more) at a price point of about $200 online, $250 with optional chest strap HRM. It is aimed at the multisport audience, so it is waterproof and provides swim data as well. All my garmin data is synced to MFP automatically.

This is very appealing.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Some possible features to think about when deciding:

[1] Battery life. Are you planning to go on any backpacking/mountaineering trips? Marathons or ultra runs? etc.
    [2] Are you planning to do any specific speedwork workouts (like a tempo run, or introduce sprints, or any other interval-type workouts) that you would like programmed into the watch?
    [3] Pre-planned courses with cues? (watch will beep and show a cue telling you when and which direction to turn).
    [4] Visible map of your path
    [5] Basemap (topo or street maps laid under your path)
    [6] support for other less common activities
    [7] effort required to sync data
    [8] Compatibility with training sites
    [9] Customized fields/number of fields viewable during activity

Also if you want/need a waterproof option.

I picked Garmin over a Fitbit because my Fitbit died after getting caught in a rainstorm.
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »

This is very appealing.

The Garmin 920xt is the "go to" device for many folks in my triathlon club. I know at least ten people who own the 920. No complaints about performance that I'm aware of among our group. It is a rock solid device. I love mine!