Fasting Cardio

Options
What time should people stop eating at night? Also has anyone had success with fasting cardio?

Replies

• gearhead426hemi
    gearhead426hemi Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    Just like workouts, diets and just about anything in life there isn't a one size fits all or perfect answer. I prefer to not eat anything for a couple hours before I workout. If I am going for a long run or long mountain bike ride I will have a small snack before, during and immediately after. On a normal training day though I like to fast.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What time should people stop eating at night? Also has anyone had success with fasting cardio?

Neither of these things are important for weight loss. I eat dinner most nights around 8:30.

Fasted cardio utilizes more fat for fuel for that particular activity, but that is ultimately irrelevant as you constantly cycle between fat storage and utilization throughout the day. I'm in maintenance and I do a lot of fasted cardio because it's a good training tool for endurance work...but I maintain because I eat maintenance calories...if I dropped my calories by 500 per day I would lose about 1 Lb per week regardless of whether I did fasted cardio or not.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    What time should people stop eating at night?
    Whatever time suits people but try not to drop toast crumbs in bed.

Also has anyone had success with fasting cardio?
    Yes I have - I got much better at fasted cardio. Makes no difference whatsoever to weight loss but quite handy for endurance cardio enthusiasts.
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    For more detail on what you seem to be implying, look up Intermittent Fasting - maybe Leangains would appeal to you.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    People should stop eating at whatever point they could makes themselves not sleep well if they kept eating.
    Or if no bad effects, whenever.

Fasted cardio to train the body to utilize fat as energy source earlier rather than later - for endurance cardio training.

If endurance cardio is of no interest to you, eat or don't eat depending on what allows you to have a good workout and not get sick.